Question Filter Upgrade

KlayDom

Reaction score
Hello,
Im still using the same hob filter that comes with a 36gal top fin Aquarium Kit that I bought, I just wanna know the benefits if I decided to upgrade mine to a higher gph, and which hob filter do you recommend for a 36gal tank? (I got some tiger barbs and some plants without co2 tech if that helps) Thanks

Best Answer - View Islandvic's answer

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
KlayDom said:
Hello,
Im still using the same hob filter that comes with a 36gal top fin Aquarium Kit that I bought, I just wanna know the benefits if I decided to upgrade mine to a higher gph, and which hob filter do you recommend for a 36gal tank? (I got some tiger barbs and some plants without co2 tech if that helps) Thanks
If you want to increase filtration I recommend maybe a sponge filter also. I like using sponge filters instead of airstone plain.

Plus if you ever needed hospital tank. $12 at Petco for 10gal AND YOU HAVE pre seeded sponge filter to instant cycle tank.

OP
KlayDom

KlayDom

Reaction score
SanDiegoRedneck said:
If you want to increase filtration I recommend maybe a sponge filter also. I like using sponge filters instead of airstone plain.

Plus if you ever needed hospital tank. $12 at Petco for 10gal AND YOU HAVE pre seeded sponge filter to instant cycle tank.
theres hob sponge filter? which one?

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
KlayDom said:
theres hob sponge filter? which one?
No I was recommending a sponge and hob instead of upgraded hob islandvic is right. By customizing your current HOB will get great results. I don't use cartridges in my Hob

OP
KlayDom

KlayDom

Reaction score
SanDiegoRedneck said:
No I was recommending a sponge and hob instead of upgraded hob islandvic is right. By customizing your current HOB will get great results. I don't use cartridges in my Hob
Thanks, I just did a quick research on the sponge filter, I might just switched to it and just completely remove my hob filter. What size of sponge filter do u recommend for 36gal tank?

Islandvic said:
Sometimes better media in a filter is better than having more GPH flow with sub par media.

Diy Media Guide For Top Fin Silenstream, Aquaclear And Other Hob Filters | 385506 | Filters and Filtration
thanks for the advice, is it better if I DIY customize my filter or should I just switch to sponge filter?

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
KlayDom said:
Thanks, I just did a quick research on the sponge filter, I might just switched to it and just completely remove my hob filter. What size of sponge filter do u recommend for 36gal tank?
On 36gal if you wanted to do sponge only I would do 2 large. I have the aquapappa from Amazon rated to 55gal. That would work. $20 for 3. But would run 2. I even am switching my 10 gal to this size. More space for bb.

But with sponge filters also consider with the bigger ones they take up a decent amount of tank space. I have alot of shrimp so they like the filter. But I have cherry barbs in 20gal with one of those I mentioned and ot does take up space. I hid behind log.

Another benefit of sponge filters is that if power goes out they dont need to be primed to start running again like alot of HOb and canaster.

On my 55gal with heavy stock I run HOB and canaster and sponge

KlayDom said:
thanks for the advice, is it better if I DIY customize my filter or should I just switch to sponge filter?
Ps start with customize. See results then maybe ad med sponge but keep hob

OP
KlayDom

KlayDom

Reaction score
which dual air pump do u recommend? and how much gph air pump should I get for my 36gal tank?

New Threads