Filter Upgrade

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Westside, Apr 21, 2018.

1. WestsideValued MemberMember

We just have an Aqua 30 HOB now, it' doing fine but with upcoming addition of a few more fish want to add another filter to go along with it, what would be the best filter to buy

2. SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

I have a fluval 50 on my 29 gallon tank.. I really like it.. just my personal opinion though!:)

3. WestsideValued MemberMember

I'll take a look, thanks!!

4. Billy TValued MemberMember

5. WestsideValued MemberMember

Considering this as well :emoji_thumbsup:

6. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Whats the best filter to buy? Thats like asking what clothes should I wear - and not mention the location! :D

Some questions: price range? Are you looking for supplemental flow or filtration? What type of filter do you prefer? Do you want to try something new? Is there any fish that may have special requirements - like betta prefer slow moving waters, while some like danios like water movement?

7. WestsideValued MemberMember

Price is no matter, we already have 9 danios, would like more filtration since we will be adding a few more fish soon

8. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Id reccomend a small canister then, the increase of media and additional flow will be greatly appreciated.

9. SwampgorillaValued MemberMember

I don't know ... for a 29 gallon tank ... I would not add a canister unless you're just really "in" to this hobby and don't mind the cleaning hassle.

When people ask ... "what kind of additional filter should I get?" I usually advise to get an identical filter to the one they have - if they're satisfied and happy with that filter. So if you like the AC 50 ... why not another AC 50? Spare parts and cleaning are the same then for both. You can by whatever filter OTHERS here like ... but you'll have two mismatched filters, which isn't a problem at all except for the fact that having two AC 50's or even an AC 50 and an AC 70 ... is way more simpler than having an AC 50 and a Fluval C3.

The cleaning for two identical filters is the same. Parts are the same. Media is the same ... arranged the same. If you go away on vacation and someone else has to clean your filters - it's way easier to teach them how to clean one filter rather than two different kinds. It's way easier for you to learn everything about one kind of filter than it is two different kinds.

I have six different filters ... THREE HOBS (AC 70's and one AC 110). Three cannisters - two CASCADE and one Eheim. The Eheim was my first purchase ... because it's different from the others - it's a pain and I will likely be swapping it out for another Cascade.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  10. WestsideValued MemberMember

Sage advice, I think we'll go this route, thanks!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice