Filter Upgrade

Westside

Active Member
Member
Messages
78
Reaction score
10
We just have an Aqua 30 HOB now, it' doing fine but with upcoming addition of a few more fish want to add another filter to go along with it, what would be the best filter to buy
 

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,030
Reaction score
2,095
Experience
2 years
I have a fluval 50 on my 29 gallon tank.. I really like it.. just my personal opinion though!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Westside

Westside

Active Member
Member
Messages
78
Reaction score
10
Smalltownfishfriend said:
I have a fluval 50 on my 29 gallon tank.. I really like it.. just my personal opinion though!

I'll take a look, thanks!!
 

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,267
Reaction score
2,546
Location
Melbourne
Experience
More than 10 years
Whats the best filter to buy? That's like asking what clothes should I wear - and not mention the location!

Some questions: price range? Are you looking for supplemental flow or filtration? What type of filter do you prefer? Do you want to try something new? Is there any fish that may have special requirements - like betta prefer slow moving waters, while some like danios like water movement?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Westside

Westside

Active Member
Member
Messages
78
Reaction score
10
aussieJJDude said:
Whats the best filter to buy? That's like asking what clothes should I wear - and not mention the location!

Some questions: price range? Are you looking for supplemental flow or filtration? What type of filter do you prefer? Do you want to try something new? Is there any fish that may have special requirements - like betta prefer slow moving waters, while some like danios like water movement?

Price is no matter, we already have 9 danios, would like more filtration since we will be adding a few more fish soon
 

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,267
Reaction score
2,546
Location
Melbourne
Experience
More than 10 years
Id reccomend a small canister then, the increase of media and additional flow will be greatly appreciated.
 

Swampgorilla

Active Member
Member
Messages
318
Reaction score
169
Location
Slidell, LA
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know ... for a 29 gallon tank ... I would not add a canister unless you're just really "in" to this hobby and don't mind the cleaning hassle.

When people ask ... "what kind of additional filter should I get?" I usually advise to get an identical filter to the one they have - if they're satisfied and happy with that filter. So if you like the AC 50 ... why not another AC 50? Spare parts and cleaning are the same then for both. You can by whatever filter OTHERS here like ... but you'll have two mismatched filters, which isn't a problem at all except for the fact that having two AC 50's or even an AC 50 and an AC 70 ... is way more simpler than having an AC 50 and a Fluval C3.

The cleaning for two identical filters is the same. Parts are the same. Media is the same ... arranged the same. If you go away on vacation and someone else has to clean your filters - it's way easier to teach them how to clean one filter rather than two different kinds. It's way easier for you to learn everything about one kind of filter than it is two different kinds.

I have six different filters ... THREE HOBS (AC 70's and one AC 110). Three cannisters - two CASCADE and one Eheim. The EheI'm was my first purchase ... because it's different from the others - it's a pain and I will likely be swapping it out for another Cascade.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
Westside

Westside

Active Member
Member
Messages
78
Reaction score
10
Swampgorilla said:
I don't know ... for a 29 gallon tank ... I would not add a canister unless you're just really "in" to this hobby and don't mind the cleaning hassle.

When people ask ... "what kind of additional filter should I get?" I usually advise to get an identical filter to the one they have - if they're satisfied and happy with that filter. So if you like the AC 50 ... why not another AC 50? Spare parts and cleaning are the same then for both. You can by whatever filter OTHERS here like ... but you'll have two mismatched filters, which isn't a problem at all except for the fact that having two AC 50's or even an AC 50 and an AC 70 ... is way more simpler than having an AC 50 and a Fluval C3.

The cleaning for two identical filters is the same. Parts are the same. Media is the same ... arranged the same. If you go away on vacation and someone else has to clean your filters - it's way easier to teach them how to clean one filter rather than two different kinds. It's way easier for you to learn everything about one kind of filter than it is two different kinds.

I have six different filters ... THREE HOBS (AC 70's and one AC 110). Three cannisters - two CASCADE and one Eheim. The EheI'm was my first purchase ... because it's different from the others - it's a pain and I will likely be swapping it out for another Cascade.
Sage advice, I think we'll go this route, thanks!!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
92
Guests online
2,039
Total visitors
2,131

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom