Filter upgrade for 150g FW

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Joel L, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Joel LNew MemberMember

I currently have 2 aqueon 55'75 hob . tank population includes various rainbows,loaches ,mollies, & others. Yes I may be over populated.I am considering a cannister like a API filstar XL or adding a third 55/75. I know i will lose gph but gain filter media with the cannister.But a third hob would be cheaper and give about 1300 gph. Any thoughts?

2. ThatOneAquaristValued MemberMember

Canisters give more options when it comes to media, and you aren't throwing out your bacteria every month. Id get the filstar, and keep the HOBs on as well

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You don't need as much GPH with canisters because there's much more filter media inside the canister the water is flowing through.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. SnyperTodd

SnyperToddValued MemberMember

Good choice, Filstars are great filters. Well built, extremely reliable, virtually silent, and easy to service. I've got several of various sizes, my oldest has been in continuous operation for over 13 years without a single issue. Many people here will wonder why you'd spend the money on a Filstar (or any other top quality filter) when you can get a Sunsun (cheap Chinese knockoff) for less, but I've never heard anyone say "My Sunsun has been in continuous operation for over 13 years without a single issue." You get what you pay for. Just sayin'.

5. OP
    OP
    J

Joel LNew MemberMember

Thanks for all the input. I really appreiciate everyones help.

6. ThatOneAquaristValued MemberMember

No problem, and welcome to Fishlore

7. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

If it was my tank I would go with a can and replace the aqueons with fluval/ac 110s.

8. ThatOneAquaristValued MemberMember

That would be quite a bit of money... the 110s alone would be as much as a good canister

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice