Filter upgrade for 150 gallon Freshwater

Joel L

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I currently have 2 aqueon 55'75 hob . tank population includes various rainbows,loaches ,mollies, & others. Yes I may be over populated.I am considering a cannister like a API filstar XL or adding a third 55/75. I know i will lose gph but gain filter media with the cannister.But a third hob would be cheaper and give about 1300 gph. Any thoughts?

ThatOneAquarist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Canisters give more options when it comes to media, and you aren't throwing out your bacteria every month. Id get the filstar, and keep the HOBs on as well

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You don't need as much GPH with canisters because there's much more filter media inside the canister the water is flowing through.

SnyperTodd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good choice, Filstars are great filters. Well built, extremely reliable, virtually silent, and easy to service. I've got several of various sizes, my oldest has been in continuous operation for over 13 years without a single issue. Many people here will wonder why you'd spend the money on a Filstar (or any other top quality filter) when you can get a Sunsun (cheap Chinese knockoff) for less, but I've never heard anyone say "My Sunsun has been in continuous operation for over 13 years without a single issue." You get what you pay for. Just sayin'.

Joel L

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for all the input. I really appreiciate everyones help.

ThatOneAquarist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No problem, and welcome to Fishlore

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it was my tank I would go with a can and replace the aqueons with fluval/ac 110s.

ThatOneAquarist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That would be quite a bit of money... the 110s alone would be as much as a good canister

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads