Filter Unplugged - Did Bacteria Die?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh boy... So it seems that one of my animals unplugged my filter last night by accident , who knows at what time, and when I woke up this morning it was off obviously. There was only an inch of water left in my filter.

What are the odds that there's any BB left in this filter? And if there is none and I have to start from scratch will my ..
8 guppy fry
2 rcs
3 mystery snails, be okay during a cycle?

Edit to add: I'm very responsible with water changing and testing

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It was damp I wouldn't say very wet but surly not completely dry, thanx for the response. I test basicly every day so that's not a problem lol. I also do water changes according to my tests.

My test results after the filter has been on for a few hours,
Ammonia 0-.25 ppl
Nitite 1-2 ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm
What are your thoughts?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lol no not big I have a 29 gallon
I bought on eBay backers measuring spice set. It's 1/36 of a tsp lol

I just got it because it lasts longer. I got the big jar of it, so I'm set for life haha

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ms rose said:
It was damp I wouldn't say very wet but surly not completely dry, thanx for the response. I test basicly every day so that's not a problem lol. I also do water changes according to my tests.

My test results after the filter has been on for a few hours,
Ammonia 0-.25 ppl
Nitite 1-2 ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm
What are your thoughts?
Was your tank completely cycled before the filter was turned off? It surprises me that the nitrites rose to that level so quickly if they were at 0 before.

Agreeing with the advice of partial water changes until you get the cycle back.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Befor this my results were ammonia 0-.25/ nitrie 0/nitrate 10
But right before this happened I started seeing nitrite at between 1 and 2, I made a thread about it, but couldn't figure out y, then this happened a few days later....

Lucy said:
Naughty animals!
You're probably ok especially if the media was still wet.
Most of the beneficial bacteria is on the filter media but it also adheres to decorations etc.
Just keep an eye on your water readings over the next week or so. Do water changes if needed.
Haha just notices your profile pic lol so so funny

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ms rose said:
Befor this my results were ammonia 0-.25/ nitrie 0/nitrate 10
But right before this happened I started seeing nitrite at between 1 and 2, I made a thread about it, but couldn't figure out y, then this happened a few days later....
Yeah, I just saw this thread from Monday.
Help I Think My Tank Crashed

My thought is that if the tank was well established there would hardly be a blip in the readings. Being as the tank is so new it's a little less forgiving. Same advice though. Water changes.

Ms rose said:
Haha just notices your profile pic lol so so funny
Thanks! Silly cat!

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lucy said:
Yeah, I just saw this thread from Monday.
Help I Think My Tank Crashed

My thought is that if the tank was well established there would hardly be a blip in the readings. Being as the tank is so new it's a little less forgiving. Same advice though. Water changes.

Thanks! Silly cat!
Ok thanx a lot, I will continue my water changing and testing. I now have a new thread as to my 10g cycled tank. Ugh everything has gone haywire lol

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I experienced a partial cycle crash recently when I kick-started a new 10gal betta tank. I used a single cycled sponge from an existing stable tank, but when I tested the new tank water after ±36hrs, I had low but measurable nitrite levels. But no ammonia. All I can infer is that the secondary bacteria (which convert nitrites to nitrates) had all (or mostly) died, while the ammonia eating bacteria were fine.
The good news is that after only 2 days of water changes and prime, everything was tip top. Hopefully you'll have the same quick recovery!

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for the input, that's what I'll do and I'll keep y'all updated with my test results, thank you both for your prompt responces

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom