Filter Trouble

1. Eskimo180 Initiate Member

Does anyone have a good filter that they would recommend for a beginner? I am willing to spend a little extra cash to have a nice filter. Any ideas? Any brand? ???

Eskimo

2. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

The type of filter that you get depends on the size of the tank you have and of the kinds of fish you're planning to have. However, the best filter for a beginner with a community tank, I would say, is a HOB (Hang On Back) filter. And it is always best to buy a filter that is slightly more powerful than your tank would need, because as a filter runs, it often runs more slowly than what it says on the box in which it came. That is, filters get clogged over time, and there are filter media inside - all of which slow down the water flow. The best filter is one that pumps 10 times the size of your tank in one hour. For example, if you have a 10 gallon tank, a filter that pumps 100 gallons per hour would be good (10 x 10 gallons = 100 Gallons Per Hour). Good HOB filters are for example WhisperTetra, AquaClear, BIO-Wheel, et cetera. When buying a filter, also pay attention to how much surface are its media has for the beneficial bacteria. The more the surface area, the better. There are many other good filters, which you'd have to research. I do not know how all of them work and I only have experience with a WhisperTetra in my 10 gallon (pumps 90 GPH) and with an AquaClear in my 30 gallon (pumps 300 GPH). Both work great for me.

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

*** CORRECTION *** : surface area (not "surface are") - sorry for typos :)

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Hi Eskimo! Welcome to FishGeeks! A great filter that's cheap and works great is a sponge filter. Make sure you get the right size for your tank. I have 2 in a 55 gal. angel tank, and it really makes maintenance easy.

5. Eskimo180 Initiate Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with the power filter or the canister. Not quite sure just yet. Wish me luck!

Eskimo