Filter Transition

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by KO_, Apr 10, 2017.

1. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

Im 95% sure this will work just want to make sure my plan is a good plan.

I have just ordered a Hydor 350 for my 55g. I am currently running a HOB Aqueon 75. I run my own filter pads in the current filter. My plan is to dedicate the first media tray to my used/seeded media, then have the other two trays for the ceramic and new sponge. This will work right? I have a sponge filter in the tank too, its not doing much but its take the edge off. So yeah? I don't really want to run both filters for a couple weeks, I don't think its necessary.

EDIT- I got the 350, not the 250.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

That will work, JUST to be safe I would continue to run the sponge too, but ya pack anything you can from the HOB into the canister, for at least a month :) If you keep some Seachem Stability around that wouldnt hurt either. I just did this recently moving from a marineland 360 to a fluval FX4, also run a sponge in the tank, I saw zero spike.

Good luck!

3. cjbart1009

cjbart1009 Valued Member Member

Agree with @Bizarro252. The sponge filter does help seeding a new filter. Are you adding more bio media? Just run the sponge and canister for a month or two. Check parameters daily for the first week then reduce it the following weeks. If by the first month you don't see a spike then you can remove the sponge.

4. OP
    OP
    KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

I plan on getting all the media from the HOB into the canister. So there should not be a spike.

5. cjbart1009

cjbart1009 Valued Member Member

I would still run the sponge just to be safe. It's totally up to you tho.

6. OP
    OP
    KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

Yeah, the sponge will be run regardless, at least for a month or two. This is my first canister filter so I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I was missing with the transition.

7. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Agree, why not? Sure they can be ugly, but dealing with that for a few weeks is much better than dealing with a mini cycle!

Edit

Ah good :) you should have no issues then, just try to keep the media as moist as you can (or just swap quickly) when moving it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice