Filter too strong??

JoshuavanWyk

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just set up a new 29 gallon tank and I went out and purchased a tetra whisper ex 70 as my filter. It’s rated for 340 gph. It seems that this filter is way to strong for my fish though. My tummy noses and cardinals are being washed all over the place and even my gudgeons seem to be struggling. At the moment I replaced it with my Marineland penguin 150 and the tetras are doing better. How do people run these bigger filters without affecting their fish??

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
JoshuavanWyk said:
Hey guys! I just set up a new 29 gallon tank and I went out and purchased a tetra whisper ex 70 as my filter. It’s rated for 340 gph. It seems that this filter is way to strong for my fish though. My tummy noses and cardinals are being washed all over the place and even my gudgeons seem to be struggling. At the moment I replaced it with my Marineland penguin 150 and the tetras are doing better. How do people run these bigger filters without affecting their fish??
What I have done when over filtering is if on a tank like 29gal I would put 2 filters. Hob x2 ... hob & sponge ...

One large has too much flow out of one filter.

2 150gph would get better results. Can put on different sides of tank. Flow rate is ok for 29gal. Plus if one fails you have 1 working. Or if you get new tank or need hospital tank you can move a filter for instant cycle. Lots of reasons to have more smaller in my opinion.

I have canister and hob on my 55. Both rates for 50gal. Extra filtration with out too much bonus flow. I put both mine on one side so one side has slower flow.

Attachments

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i have a 29 gallon as well and i have both a quietflow 30 and 50 hob filters so thats probably 450 gph al together i guess. and my fish have been fine ever since

OP
JoshuavanWyk

JoshuavanWyk

Reaction score
SanDiegoRedneck said:
What I have done when over filtering is if on a tank like 29gal I would put 2 filters. Hob x2 ... hob & sponge ...

One large has too much flow out of one filter.

2 150gph would get better results. Can put on different sides of tank. Flow rate is ok for 29gal. Plus if one fails you have 1 working. Or if you get new tank or need hospital tank you can move a filter for instant cycle. Lots of reasons to have more smaller in my opinion.

I have canister and hob on my 55. Both rates for 50gal. Extra filtration with out too much bonus flow. I put both mine on one side so one side has slower flow.
That’s a very good idea! Thank you.
Nickguy5467 said:
i have a 29 gallon as well and i have both a quietflow 30 and 50 hob filters so thats probably 450 gph al together i guess. and my fish have been fine every since
Do your fish ever seem to struggle to swim or get pushed around? Mine have had a very stressful day it’s a long drive to the shop and a few cardinals have already passed. Perhaps they’re just too weak to fight the current?

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
JoshuavanWyk said:

Do your fish ever seem to struggle to swim or get pushed around? Mine have had a very stressful day it’s a long drive to the shop and a few cardinals have already passed. Perhaps they’re just too weak to fight the current?
Cardinals dont like high flow but ok w slow or medium. Like my neons. In my 55 the neons spend some time in flow but most on side with less. My Silvertips tetras soend all day like nutballs in flow. So do my corys.

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JoshuavanWyk said:

they dont struggle at all. or get pushed. i have 6 black skirts 2 cory fish and a sunset platty. . in my experience neons arent the strongest swimmers though since they seem to get sick all the time. i will experiment with this soon as i plant to get a bunch of neons or cardinals for my planted tank

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Consider buying a filter with adjustable flow.

Aquaclear, Tidal and surprisingly Top Fin Silentstream at Petsmart have adjustable flow control.

I have a Silentstream 75 filter on a 65g (along with a Tidal and sponge filter) and it's knob on intake tube allows for a flow just above a trickle to full flow, and anything in between.

That model has dual reservoirs side-by-side that holds media and they space is actually quite large.

I discarded the stock cartridges and the blue plastic bio-grid contraptions. In their place I inserted a huge foam block from and Aquaclear 110 replacement I cut into two pieces to make for on the right side. On the left side is a very large bag of Matrix I already had cycled from another tank.

For $30 on sale at PetSmart (even less if you use the 25% off coupon found in the PetSmart app) these filters are very under appreciated and looked over. In my experience, they are a good value for the performance they give. Mine actually came with our 55g Top Fin kit, but I moved ot over to the 65g.

Consider one of those for your 29g, I think it would be a good match and very cost effective.

OP
JoshuavanWyk

JoshuavanWyk

Reaction score
Quick update!

I got a Marineland penguin 200 filter and swapped all the media over from the 150. The 200 seems to be the perfect balance for the tank, there’s enough to flow where everything is moving and the fish get pushed around a little but it doesn’t overwhelm the tank and the fish can rest without issues. Thanks for all the advice guys!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom