Filter Too Strong?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jazzmin, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Jazzmin

Jazzmin New Member Member

Hello
    I have an aqua clear HOB filter on my 10 gallon tank. It said for 5-20 gallon tanks on the box. I have the flow adjusted to the lowest setting. There's 3 male guppies in the tank that seem too have a hard time swimming around. I would upload a video but I can't seem to get it to work. I also have a small bubble wand in the back of the aquarium - don't know of that contributes to the current? Is there a way to fix this without getting a new filter? How can I tell if the current is actually to strong? The platy swims easily. Thanks for the help!

2. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

All you need to make is a filter baffle. And maybe you can put some tall plants so the fish have something to hide in and it will also help with the current

Good Luck!

3. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

Aquaclear usually have a flow setting. If you gently push the intake tube to the right all the way, it should reduce the flow. If that is still too much, I've heard of people using a trimmed water bottle to baffle the flow, or if you have tall plants you may be able to position them to buffer some of the flow.

4. OP
    OP
    Jazzmin

Thanks for the help! I have the filter already set to the lowest flow. The water bottle might be a good solution, although it's a bit of an eye sore. How much of a negative effect does too strong a current have on the fish? Also, if I use the water bottle, is that going to reduce the oxygen in the tank too much?

5. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

I agree about the bottle being an eyesore. And when I watched the video I thought the same thing about oxygen. Do you have a large plant or decorations that you can position near the outflow that may buffer it somehow? That's the only other thing I can think of, I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions. :)

6. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

What do you have for media inside your filter? You can load sponges inside to decrease the flow that way too. I added a prefilter sponge to my intake and inside the filter cavity, then did biorings and then filter floss. Trying to keep my bettas fins from being sucked in and the current from being too strong. So far so good. Although it has only been a couple hours, and he keeps flaring at me non-stop when I peek at him lol

Edit: well for that matter, what about just getting a sponge filter? I was just thinking about one for my tank tonight. I had all the supplies here to set up my filter with all the additions, but buying a sponge filter would have probably been the easier way to go in the long run lol

Oh and I can't ever upload videos. I ended up putting them on YouTube as unlisted on my own channel. That way the only way they can be viewed is if I share the link, which works perfectly in the forum.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    Jazzmin

I might try a sponge in the intake tube! And I tried uploading it to YouTube, but that method didn't work either thanks for the advice tho!

8. Tanks and Plants

I have used the water bottle
    Putting a sponge in the intake tube will not lower the flow. If you put too much you will put a strain on your motor and eventually it will break down. And even if you were to out a sponge on the outside it will only act like a prefilter and will not lower your flow. Maybe the best if you don't want to use a baffle is to get a sponge filter. Those work great and provide biological and mechanical filtration. I personally like the Hydrosponge filter and a lot of breeders and per stores use only sponge filters in their tanks.

I would suggest the hydrosponge pro filters. There are 2 types of hydrosponge' the reg and the pro. The regular ones use a really fine sponge and it gets clogged up pretty fast. The pro filter uses a coarser type of sponge and it keeps the water clean but also has better areas for BB to grow IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  9. AllieSten

I used the sponge on the intake to protect the fins from being sucked up into the intake mainly. And the filter floss near the output has really baffled the output flow quite a bit. I isn't preventing the water from flowing out at all, it is just softening the speed or force it shoots out, if that makes sense.

10. Tanks and Plants

I understand what you were saying, I am not quite sure what you are trying to tell me now.

Or

Is it like this.......

Sponge on the intake acts like a barrier so your Beta's fins don't get sucked into the intake.
    Filter floss by the return water fall on your HOB filter helps slow down the flow of the water

11. CHoman

CHoman Valued Member Member

I have the water bottle baffle and it worked perfectly! You can adjust it and move it down a bit, so with a hood, it's basically flush with the filter, I don't notice it anymore. If your tank is pretty, people won't be looking at the filter anyway ;)

12. AllieSten

Yes. the Sponge on the intake does act like a barrier so the betta's fins do not get sucked into the intake. It also acts as more surface area for your bacteria to grow, and filters out small bits that may not get filtered out through the larger filter media. So it's a bonus that way.

The way my filter was working is that it has a wide area that the water can flow out of. Only it wasn't. It was more shooting out of the center. Causing a fast current. I adjusted the media inside the filter several times, it was even doing it with the media cartridge it came with. The filter floss helped the water come out more consistently across the entire opening, instead of the center part. So the water volume coming out stays the same, it is just a more even speed over a wider area. Does that make more sense?

Edit: oh and I didn't mention this. I probably only used about 1/3 the amount of filter floss for this. Purposely trying to not block flow, but to more evenly direct the water. So it is working more like a baffle than a filter media.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice