Filter too strong for betta

1. Kianoromitria Initiate Member

I have a 20 gallon tank with 1 betta and a bunch of betta safe plants. He has an Aqueon Quietflow 20 filter but his fin got sucked into it. To fix this I put a pantyhose on there to prevent more fin damage. Before being in the larger tank he was in a 1.5 gallon bowl (all I could afford, he was in there maybe 5 days) with no filter and I did constant water changes. Now he has a filter that makes a current and I know bettas don't like currents too much so how do I reduce it because he seems to be struggling to fight it all the time?

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Many times it will take a betta a little time to build up the muscles to be able to resist a current, since his whole file he probably never experienced moving water. But if there is just way too much current, you may need to baffle it. Do a forum search for "Bottle Baffle" and you should find a thread which may be helpful

3. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed, unless the filter current is way too strong your Betta will probably be able to get used to it. You did the right thing to cover the intake to protect him in the meantime. Another option that may not clog and restrict water flow as easily is a sponge prefilter;)

4. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

If you need something immediately.. in an emergency, I took the lid of the betta cup and a rubberband, and just strapped it on the outtake.
    It should suffice til you can get a sponge filter

5. Kianoromitria Initiate Member

Thanks all of you for answering. I'll look up bottle baffle and at a sponge prefilter

6. MuskieCatcher Member Member

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    I set up a bit of a baffle at the top of my filter, as well as covering the intake with a whole chunk of sponge. Should probably thin out the sponge to let more water through, but the filter pad gets plenty dirty enough as is :) hope this helps you out!

7. Kianoromitria Initiate Member

Thanks that's really helpful to see it!

8. MuskieCatcher Member Member

No problem! The plastic is just a chunk of a water bottle, and i got the sponge for like a buck, ended up perfect size to fit into the filter outtake, and the rest i just cut a slit into and jammed it onto the filter, and added an elastic just in case. I change the sponge once it looks dirty, about every 4 months. Then again, its a tank full of plants with a betta and 5 tetras, so filter takes a lot in