10 Gallon Tank Filter too large for 10g? - fishless cycle

Meredith

Hi all,

I've decided to start over with a fishless cycle on my 10g, after unexpectedly losing all of my aquatic friends this week (long story, I posted about it in another thread so I won't get too into it. Basically I moved houses, and despite taking every precaution and acclimating them slowly - I've done this before - every single one of my babies died overnight. All of them. Ive had some of them for years and I'm devastated.

So, like I said, I'm starting over fishless with my 10g. I will seed with substrate from one of my old, cycled tanks, which I've kept wet for the move. I want to use the brand new sponge filter I have... Thing is I bought it with the intention of using it for a 150 tank so it's a big one - I'm not too worried about taking up space aside from aesthetic reasons (I plan on getting a betta eventually), but I'm just wondering, is it bad to use that big a filter on a 10g tank? It's a sponge so I won't have to worry about vulnerable fish getting sucked up into it.

I don't want to use my old filters, even though they've served me well for years, because I tried seeding the 150g with them and that's where all my little friends died.... So if it's something to do with the water, I don't want to contaminate my new tank right off the bat.

So, thoughts? Is it possible to have too strong of a filter, aside from water movement/current?

BigManAquatics

It will be well-filtered water at least! Easy enough to adjust the airflow on a sponge filter anyway, so flow shouldn't be too much an issue

Mudminnow

Water flow aside, you can't over filter your tank. Your bacteria colony will only grow as large as it has food to grow.

Now, I do think water flow will probably be an issue. If your filter was indented for a 150 gallon and you have it on a 10 gallon, you may have a raging torrent in there that few fishes would be happy with.

jtjgg

use a smaller air pump, or add an adjustable valve on the air line.

Meredith

Water flow aside, you can't over filter your tank. Your bacteria colony will only grow as large as it has food to grow.

Now, I do think water flow will probably be an issue. If your filter was indented for a 150 gallon and you have it on a 10 gallon, you may have a raging torrent in there that few fishes would be happy with.
Thank you for the reply! I want to test it out to see the current it makes, but if I do that I can't return it. I will probably go down and exchange it for a smaller one - it's just a bit of a trek since I've moved which is annoying.

BigManAquatics

Adjustable valves to put on the airline are about $2 or so when i see them. Control the airflow, control the water flow.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jdhef
Replies
Views
ArtemisFish
Replies
Views
JeremyW
Replies
Views