Filter Theory/Question?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by kuopan, Dec 30, 2009.

1. k

kuopan Valued Member Member

hi everyone,

this is a total newb question that I just want to confirm. But if I have 20gallon tank and use a filter manufactured for 30, 40 or anything greater than my tank, would it drastically improve my waterflow and reduce debris? In essence, is there a positive correlation b/w the performance of the filter? and is it worth buying a filter manufactured for a larger tank when i only have a 20gallon tank?

I currently have a "marina" slim filter and it doesn't appear to collect as much debris (ex - poop) as I'd like. there's a foam around the filter that appears to prevent it? it'll be greatly appreciated if you can recommend filters for me.

i'm currently eyeing the fluval 205 or 305 external canister filter (which is quite pricey so i am contemplating whether it's even worth it for a 20gallon tank cuz they are manufactured for 50g and 70g i think). I also have my eyes at the AquaClear70 which they are selling for 20bucks at bigals (seems like a great deal) but dunno if it's a good filter.

thank you.

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

You want to look at the flow rate rather than the rating by the manufacturer. For a HOB, you're looking for 10x you gallons (so 10x 20) = 200 gph. For a canister you are looking for 5x, or 100 gallons per hour flow rate for a 20 g tank.

The Aqua Clears have a wonderful reputation. You could go with an AC50. I have a Fluval that I am extremely happy with. A Fluval 205 would be perfect for your tank.

By the way, I see you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. You should take a moment and read the link in my signature. Also, it would be helpful if your aquarium info was more complete, with a list of which fish you have in the tank. :)

3. f

fishnob Valued Member Member

I have a 55 Gallon tank and I started with one filter that came in the kit with it. It was a Tetera EX70. After I few weeks I didn't feel it was enough and didn't like that I had to use the stock filters and that it didn't have space to add my own filter media.

I purchased an aquaclear 50 and added it to the tank, what a difference! I would say that you can never have enough filter....I like with the aquaclear that it has plenty of room if I want to add carbon, or extra floss or sponges. I just purchased it around 2 months ago and I paid $40 for it and it was on sale. I would jump on buying the aquaclear 70 for $20.00, it is also very quite.

= )

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello kuopon.:;hi2

I really like the Aqua Clear (AC) filters as well. Great information above. Be sure to check out the nitrogen cycle link that was provided by Meenu.

I'm fond of the idea too that more filtration is always better as long as the fish aren't being blown around the tank by the current. I currently have an AC 70 (300gph) on my 26g tank and it stays crystal clear. So it's a little more than 10 x my tank volume which houses gold fish. It's so quiet I check it to make sure it's running :)

Something else to keep in mind when selecting a filter: With a hang on back (HOB) filter the tank will have to come out several inches from the wall. With a canister filter the tank can be placed flush to the wall.

Best of luck. I'm sure you'll get some more responses.
    Happy New Year!
    Ken

5. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FL!

With the 2 fish you have in your tank. They are huge waste producers. You can never have too much filtration.. Depending on the size of the fish and if you have plans to upgrade the tank as the fish get bigger, you could always buy the largest filter you can afford now and use it for your future upgrades.

There is ways to control the flow if necessary as long as you don't mind a little DIY if the filter doesn't have it built in.

6. OP
    OP
    k

kuopan Valued Member Member

thanks everyone for all your advice!!! I just recently learned about the nitrogen cycle and I haven't updated my profile yet! sorry...

just as an update, I bought the aquaclear70 from big als for 20bucks which seems extremely cheap! let's hope it doesn't break down or leak on me.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice