Filter that won't suck up fry?

1. Camille Member Member

Hi,

I have a pregnant guppy and I have been preparing for when she has her babies. I had 2 pregnant guppies but when I woke up this morning I noticed that one of the guppies belly was empty and there was no sign of fry (they must have been eaten by the other fish) I didn't know when to put her in the breeding box... So I'm not taking any chances with my second pregnant female (she is in the box now).
    I have a 5 and a half gallon tank with a heater in it prepared for the babies. I was wondering what kind of filter I should use that won't suck up the fry. Right now I have a Cascade 300 internal filter, will that work?
    Thank you!!!
    -Camille

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I have an 8G guppy tank with one of them filters, I dont know all the names of them so I'l describe it lol, its normal square box under the water, sucks water in through a grid it then pushes the water up and it comes out of the top down into the water, kind of like a water fall :)
    Anyway, what I do is put a filter sponge against the outside of the water intake so that the suction isnt as strong :)

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

you can also put a new, never-seen-soap (black to make it blend in) pantyhose rubberbanded on the intake. good luck with the fry. :)

4. Camille Member Member

Your filter sounds a little like mine, I'll try puting a sponge over it.
    Thank you!!!
    -Camille

5. Fishies-for-me Well Known Member Member

A sponge on the intake tube works fantastic. Take a media sponge from any kind of filter that is approximately the size you want....cut a slit down the center and slide up and over the filter intake tube. Do not use kitchen sponges as these may have chemicals in them. This also works to keep bettas delicate fins out of the intake tube. Here is a pic of mine.

6. Camille Member Member

Hey Meenu, if I don't have time to run to the pet store to get another filter sponge for ben's idea I'm definitely going to use a pantyhose.
    Thanks again!:;hug2
    -Camille

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Camille. Either would work great. Make sure the nylons have "never" seen SOAP! Too, if you use a sponge it will add to your bio media and you can just rinse it in siphoned tank water like your other filter media.
    Ken

8. Camille Member Member

Wow, thank you so much for the advice! I'm going to try to go out sometime this week and get and extra filter sponge.

-Camille

Ok, Thank you very much for the advice!
    -Camille

:animal0068:I went ahead and merged your posts to save some space.
    Thanks!
    Ken