Filter Switch

cbart

Hi. I have an established 20 gallon and I have switched out filters quite a bit in the last two weeks. I have been having issues finding one that works and is quiet. I finally found one and it doesn't fit my tank without the water level being about 2 inches too low. I have an underwater filter in my other 20 gallon that hasn't' been running long either. That tank has had multiple deaths, but I think it is because my bf put new fish in without letting it cycle. Should I be able to just switch the filters?

StarGirl

It won't cycle if you keep switching filters. Do you have a test kit to check the water?

cbart

Yes. The newer tanks has been having nitrogen problems. My tank is doing perfect.

StarGirl

I guess I don't understand your question. Sorry.

cbart

So there are two tanks. One was established 6 months ago and the filter was changed 3 times in the last month, due to issues with filters. I got a new tank and my bf rushed and bought fish so I had to set it up quickly. The older tank just got a new filter yesterday, but it didn't fit my tank and water level is about 2 inches too low. The newer tank has had its filter running for about a week. I want to switch the filters, but the newer tank had rough nitrate levels (due to the quickness of set up) and had fish deaths. I just don't want to kill my loved fish by switching them out.

StarGirl

It sounds like neither filter is going to be cycled so it doesn't matter if you switch them. The majority of your cycle is in the filter. So when you switch them out you are taking a lot of the BB, unless you are using the same media. Make sure to test the water daily for ammonia spikes. That may be what is killing the fish.

cbart

StarGirl said:
It sounds like neither filter is going to be cycled so it doesn't matter if you switch them. The majority of your cycle is in the filter. So when you switch them out you are taking a lot of the BB, unless you are using the same media. Make sure to test the water daily for ammonia spikes. That may be what is killing the fish.
I am worried about if the newer tanks fish (also new to us) are not healthy. Will that transfer with a filter transfer? BTW did ammonia checks. They were perfectly fine.

StarGirl

It may transfer. I wouldn't risk it if you don't know for sure. What do you think may be wrong with them? What kind of fish are they?

cbart

StarGirl said:
It may transfer. I wouldn't risk it if you don't know for sure. What do you think may be wrong with them? What kind of fish are they?
It was mollies and swordtails and some guppies. The tank thermometer was broken so they were overheating. It may have been that. The three guppies were overfed by my bf and thats why I think they died. Some of the mollies and the swordtails looked like they were fine, but died anyway. He is a new fish tank owner and doesn't really listen to me all that much...he is starting to though with all the deaths.

StarGirl

Well thats good hes starting to listen more. It probably was the heat then. Guppies IMO are not always the most stable of fish now a days. They are pigs too. ;)

cbart

StarGirl said:
Well thats good hes starting to listen more. It probably was the heat then. Guppies IMO are not always the most stable of fish now a days. They are pigs too. ;)
So you think I can switch
over the filters? Should I buy new media just to make sure and run the filter from the new tank in treated water first?

StarGirl

Since it sounds like you are almost starting from scratch anyway just clean out the filter of the bad fish tank and get new media. Treat both tanks like fish-in cycles. Thats where I think you are right now. Get the filter you want in each tank and ......go. ;)

Sanderguy777

Just out of curiosity, which filters did you end up with? I'm always in the market for a quieter filter...

cbart

Sanderguy777 said:
Just out of curiosity, which filters did you end up with? I'm always in the market for a quieter filter...
I ended up with an aqueon quiet flow and I have an underwater filter I got with my last tank purchase online.

Top Bottom