Filter Swapping

1. RileyK Initiate Member

Hi guys! I have a quick question. Should I swap my new tank filter onto my old tank and vice versa? I don't want my fish waiting in an unfiltered environment!

2. xNick Member Member

Thanks for the info. I'm actually in the process of helping a friend out with some pre cycled media so this info is very useful.

3. RileyK Initiate Member

Do you think my filter swap was a good call?

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

We need specifics about your tanks and filters and fish to be able to provide an answer one way or another.

5. RileyK Initiate Member

You are so right!

I have a 10 gallon tank and a new 20 gallon tank. My fish are tetras and a small pleco (I have a large tank for him in storage, once the time comes.) To cycle the new tank I moved a couple cups of gravel and the filter from the 10g to the new tank. I know cycling is a process, so I put the new filter on my 10g tank, where the fish currently are (didn't want them waiting around in an un-filtered environment.)

I am going to test the water tomorrow and see where my levels are.

I was wondering if the filter swap was a good idea? Should I put both filters on the new tank tomorrow. I'm unsure of how long a fish-less, old media cycle takes in a new tank.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

What fish are in what tanks?

Ahhhh, here we go.

I would move the fish over to the 20. We always say a tank needs to be cycled, but in reality it's the filter that is cycled. Moving a cycled filter to an uncycled tank makes it a cycled tank.

7. RileyK Initiate Member

Thank you. That's what I was thinking. To be double sure, I am going to run the 20g filter on my 10 gallon tank tonight, to get some good bacteria in the new filter. Tomorrow, I'll move both filters (new and old), onto my 20g tank. I'll let them filter for an hour or so, and check my water again. That should do the trick? I'll keep the old filter on the new tank too, for at least a month.

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

whoa whoa, slow down :) What are your plans for the 10 gallon?

9. RileyK Initiate Member

I think my roommate wants to use it for a terrarium, there won't be any fish in it.

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Last question - what are the brands and models of the filters?

11. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the Forum RileyK.

12. RileyK Initiate Member

10g filter is a Tetra Whisper filter. Interior filter.

20g filter is a 20-40g aqua-tech filter. Exterior filter.

Thanks Wendy! Good to be here!

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would move the fish and the gravel over and run both filters on the 20 gallon tank.

14. RileyK Initiate Member

This afternoon I am buying some easybalance for hardness. I am going to set up both filters on the new tank. This evening I will move the fish over:)

15. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Riley, just a friendly tip!

Don't use chemicals for altering any aquarium levels. Try a more natural way.

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't use any chemicals to alter the water chemisrty either. The fish can adjust to a wide range of parameters - it's better to have stable water than "perfect" water.

17. RileyK Initiate Member

I added an ammonia remover to my cycling tank! I've had my 20g tank set up since friday night, and just added my fish tonight. I used old filter media for the tank. I'm worried because I've just read that ammonia remover can wipe out the cycling process!?