Filter suggestions

Wyvern10

Reaction score
My tank was a Petsmart special. It came with a Top Fin 30 filter for a 29 gallon tank. I am interested in upgrading the filter and would like some suggestions.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I always recommend Aqua Clear to any tanks between 10 - 50 gallons in size. They're the best HOB power filters in my opinion. And they're not expensive either. You can get a good Aqua Clear very cheap on Big Al's Online:

For a 29 gallon tank, I'd recommend Aqua Clear 70: - this filter pumps 300 gallons per hour, which is excellent for your 29 gallon tank. It's always best to have a filtration of at least 10 times the volume of your tank. It's OK if it's more than 10 times the volume of your tank (it's worse if it's less than 10 x the vol. of your tank).

P.S. I personally have Aqua Clear 70 in my 30 gallon tank and it is EXCELLENT. Had it for more than 2 years already and so far not a problem.

slimNZ

Reaction score
Hi Isabella,

Are Aqua Clear HOB filters silent? I am cycling a new 18g tank using a HOB filter I brought from Singapore and the noise level is unbearable. This thing is noisier than an air pump and it vibrate a lot too, which only increase the noise level. I check and there no trap air. I am now looking to get a replacement and do need a silent filter. Try to avoid underwater filter as it taking valuable space.

TIA,
Sam

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes I'v heard their very silent, don't have any personel expierence though but all hagen products I like which make aquaclears.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
slimNZ said:
Hi Isabella,
Are Aqua Clear HOB filters silent?
They're VERY quiet If you don't clean your filter and let the propeller get clogged up, any filter can get loud this way. But in my experience, Aqua Clear is very quiet. I can't hear it unless I come close to the tank and put my ear to the filter I'd highly recommend this filter to anyone, as I've said before. In fact I've just ordered another Aqua Clear for my 10 gallon tank The 10 G tank has a Whisper Tetra HOB filter ... which is not so quiet and not that "excellent" at all.

Whichever Aqua Clear you get, make sure it pumps at last 10 times the volume of your tank. You can see how many gallons per hour each model of Aqua Clear pumps on MarineDepot.com, but if you want to order it online, order it on BigAlsOnline.com because it's very cheap there.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow didn't know they were that quiet, kinda like my stingray filter. Must say Hagen is my favorite company.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom