Filter Suggestions

LouLou79

hi. I had an own brand 'Pets at home' fish tank (40litres) and the filter kept sucking the smaller fish in. I went back to the shop and they said that the filter had had replacements because of different problems. I bought it home and the only difference is that it has a lid, the slots aren't any smaller. So to combat I put some netting around it. I haven't had the problem anymore but find my tank walls and water aren't as clean as they were, so am thinking the filter isn't great. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good replacement filter please, where the slots aren't too big. Thankyou

Matthiasfanu

What type of filter are you looking for? For my bettas I always used a sponge filter in my 10 gallon tanks. Kept the tanks clean, provided oxygen exchange through surface aggitation, and didn't produce an overwhelming current for my betta. He loved it.

AllieSten

I would look more to your tank maintenance for the issues. What & how many fish do you have in your tank? Is the filter that came with it removable? Or is it actually built in?

LouLou79

My tank is well maintained with an appropriate amount of fish. The filter is removable so I'm just after suggestions of a decent filter for the size of my tank as I do believe the one that came with it is not particularly good in safety for my fish or filtration.

SonsOfGuppies

For a tank so large, I recommend canister filter. They're quite pricey, but its worth the money. I used JBL CristalProfI brand, e701 model for a year. It works great. The filter's strong outflow is well suited to a large tank (mine was overkill at 700g/h on a 20 gallon tank) like yours. And of course, its quality filtration. Just make sure to clean it regularly (I do mine once a month).

If your worried about your fish getting sucked into the filter, just add a round sponge onto the intake tube. The water flow would be reduced a bit, but it acts as a physical barrier to the fish so one doesn't swim dangerously close to the intake.

Beeman

Sponge filter or hob, Canister is probably overkill and will be the cause of sucking up fish. However I personally think your water quality issues are not the filters fault but instead lack of maintenance problems

JRS

I like the Whisper for a smaller aquarium, maybe the Whisper20. I have a Whisper10 on my 5 gallon. It is super quiet.

Stephen Hiatt

The best options for your tank are an eheim 2011, 2071, or 2271. The nicest of the three being the 2271, and the cheapest being the 2011. It all depends on your budget and how well you want to care for your fish.

JRS

I know canister are really good, but aren't these a bit big for a 40L or 10 Gallon tank that OP has? Not disagreeing just learning.

Nanologist

I know canister are really good, but aren't these a bit big for a 40L or 10 Gallon tank that OP has? Not disagreeing just learning.

There are some pretty small canister filters. The Eheim 2211(the 2011 is discontinued) is only rated for aquariums up to 40 gallons.

There's even a Zoo Med Nano Canister filter for 10 gallon tanks but I wouldn't recommend it over the Eheim.

Personally, for small fish I would go with two sponge filter and an air pump. One at each end of the tank. You could even just do one larger one in the center.

Stephen Hiatt

There are some pretty small canister filters. The Eheim 2211(the 2011 is discontinued) is only rated for aquariums up to 40 gallons.

There's even a Zoo Med Nano Canister filter for 10 gallon tanks but I wouldn't recommend it over the Eheim.

Personally, for small fish I would go with two sponge filter and an air pump. One at each end of the tank. You could even just do one larger one in the center.
It isn't discontinued... I bought one a few months ago for $60.

Stephen Hiatt

There isn't a such thing as too much filtration, although there can be too much flow. Small canisters won't have too much flow for the tank, but they will provide it with good filtration.

JesseMoreira06

it's a 10 gallon tank, no need for a canister filter just get yourself an aquaclear 20, canister filters are only really necessary above 50g.

SonsOfGuppies

I miss read. My bad. I'm not used to seeing tank volume in litres.

HOB filters would work perfectly fine. Make sure the flow rate is at least 160 L /hour (4x your tank volume - its the minimum rate required for an adequate filtration in general). All filters have them written in their packages and/or in manuals.

Stephen Hiatt

it's a 10 gallon tank, no need for a canister filter just get yourself an aquaclear 20, canister filters are only really necessary above 50g.
Bigger is always better. I run a 2011 on my 16g and I'm quite happy with it. It does a much better job that hobs I've had, and is completely silent. I hate how loud HOBs are.

JesseMoreira06

Bigger is always better. I run a 2011 on my 16g and I'm quite happy with it. It does a much better job that hobs I've had, and is completely silent. I hate how loud HOBs are.

I ten to disagree a 10 gallon aquarium set up with a HOB ex: aquaclear 20 would be getting 100gal/h plenty of filtration for a 10 gallon , but we all have are ways of fish keeping and what we like better, it's personal preference honestly.

Nanologist

It isn't discontinued... I bought one a few months ago for $60.

Just because you found one for sale doesn't mean it wasn't discontinued. Many stores often have discontinued products for sale because they haven't sold their inventory.

It has in fact been discontinued.
The Eheim 2011 was replaced by the 2211.

Stephen Hiatt

Just because you found one for sale doesn't mean it wasn't discontinued. Many stores often have discontinued products for sale because they haven't sold their inventory.

It has in fact been discontinued.
I meant 2211. I thought you were saying the 2211 was discontinued.

AllieSten

Different fish have different filtration needs. That's why I was asking what your stocking was. For Some tanks it is ok to have minimum filtration, sometimes you need more gallons per hour with a fish that produces more waste. So your stocking is relevant to what sort of filter you need.

Do you know what your liter per hour filtration capacity is on the current filter? This may help weed through some of this. Since you work in liters per hour you will need one that is 160 liters per hour for your filtration needs.

(Btw the Whisper 20I is so loud. I do not recommend it at all. Worse filter I ever have used. I have used other Whisper filters without any issues.)

I would look for a filter that is self priming and you can add a prefilter sponge to the intake. I would also optimize your filter media by using sponges and either ceramic rings or bioballs. Then add your own filter floss. Floss helps get those pieces of gunk that make it through the layers of sponges.

Now saying all that, you could look into using a product like Seachem Pristine. It houses a bacteria that is designed to eat detritus (waste) in the tank. That way it should clear up any particles hanging around. I've just started using it, but have heard very good things.

Stephen Hiatt

Eheim 2211s are rated at 60gph (240 lph). The flow rate slows down as they wear in, so a 2211 would be perfect for your tank.

LouLou79

For a tank so large, I recommend canister filter. They're quite pricey, but its worth the money. I used JBL CristalProfI brand, e701 model for a year. It works great. The filter's strong outflow is well suited to a large tank (mine was overkill at 700g/h on a 20 gallon tank) like yours. And of course, its quality filtration. Just make sure to clean it regularly (I do mine once a month).

If your worried about your fish getting sucked into the filter, just add a round sponge onto the intake tube. The water flow would be reduced a bit, but it acts as a physical barrier to the fish so one doesn't swim dangerously close to the intake.
My tank is only 40litres which is about 8.8 Gallons

Stephen Hiatt

My tank is only 40litres which is about 8.8 Gallons
He misread it as 40 gallons instead of liters.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Philippians 4:13
Replies
Views
Anders247
Replies
Views
Angelfish321
Replies
Views