Filter suggestions?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by kb9plc, Dec 21, 2012.

1. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

I have a 6.6 Petco bookshelf tank. It's a betta heaven for my Monet.
    When I bought the tank, it came with a cheapy HOB made by god-knows-who.... but I kept it because it was quite and had enough space in it's housing for me to add more material for BB to colonize on. Right now it has some extra AC sponge and biomax pack, in addition to its chinsey poor-excuse for a cartridge. It was also super quite for being so cheap AND it was adjustable.... which is great for a betta.

ANYHOW. In the process of rearranging this tank last night, I ended up on a nerite snail hunt. So the hunt ended in the filter housing. Which required me to shut off the filter.... float the media in some tank water.... dig out the snail..... and while i was in there, clean the intake tube. So then I put it all back together and it starts making a RACKET. Okay, now a racket to me isn't much. HOB filters technically annoy me. But the thing was wisper quiet before and now it sounds like it has air bubbles stuck in it that are trying to bang their way out with little crobars. ??? Not sure how else to explain that one. :D I tinkered with it for a hour until I finally gave up. Ended up adjusting the flow all the way down and putting my DIY bottle baffle on it and just TOLERATING the noise. Ugh.

So I guess i'm looking for any idea of what the heck happened here?
    OR
    I was contemplating throwing the HOB against the wall (lol) and getting something else. Does any company make....like.... a canister type external filter that wouldn't be complete over kill and a waste of money for a 6.6g? I'd probably have to baffle the spray bar, but I'm prepared for that.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

3. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

I don't have any experience with either of these, but here is a couple other canister filters that might be worthwhile to look into.

http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-PX-360-Compact-Canister-Aquarium/dp/B002VFF8U4

Some people install ball valves on outlet side of larger canister filters to control flow, so if you can across a good deal on some other canister filter that is too big that may be an option. Again, never done it before :). As a thought, even though it is an HOB filter, the aquaclear 20, in my case, can be slowed down to a really low flow rate, with clean filters, that may work on a small tank. Although, enabler warning, the clean look of a canister filter is nice :D.

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I have the rapids mini canister on my 10 gallon. Its a terrific little filter, but too much current for the tank. I drilled out the holes, as well as a hole on the end of the spraybar AND holes on the back of the bar. It would be too much for a 6.6 gallon.

5. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

Chevy: it wouldn't take much enabeling. I have 2 ehiems on 2 other tanks. They are my first canisters ever.... and I find myself wondering why I ever waited so long to dive into the world of canister filters. So clean and QUIET.

I kinda like that Rapids mini.

I have an AC30 on my hex tank. I dunno. It kinda irritates me because it doesn't self prime. I assume the 20 is the same? I had a marineland HOB that self primed, no problem. Maybe I got spoiled LOL. The AC actually burned out on me once already when I had a power outtage when I wasn't home. Power turned back on.... anddddd the AC motor melted when it didn't have water in it's housing. So here's me running to the pet store...... Ugh.

Jaysee: Ya know my betta is weird. I've got the flow turned way down on this and baffled with a water bottle. But the goofy fish likes swimming THRU the baffle. And then laying their like it's a hammock. I dunno if it's a full fishy body massage or what. But I thought that was so odd since bettas typically don't like flow hitting them. The weak swimmers, they are.

I wonder if I drill it out like you have mentioned..... and find a way to baffle it with a bottle.... if it will work. I'm tempted to give it a go :)

6. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

I have the zoo med turtle canister filter on my fluval 8g and I love it. The flow would prob be to strong for your tank but like said get a valve to slow it down.

Or you can just do sponge filters. Not as good but plenty enough for a betta.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice