Filter Suggestions For 10g Betta Tank

CrazyScienceTeacher
I want a new filter for my betta tank. I believe his current obsession with the filter is costing him his beautiful half moon fins.

His water parameters are perfect. I already made a post on here showing the vials from my API kit asking if it was fin rot only to be reassured repeatedly it wasn’t. He’s also in a black water tank with plenty of tannins. I keep hoping for fin regrowth, but I’m not seeing any changes.

Yesterday, I came into my classroom and thought he was dead. The filter in the tank is a tetra whisper 10. He was laying against the intake, almost covering it completely. I have a piece of mopanI driftwood placed under the outflow to disrupt the strong current it creates. He’d wedged himself behind the driftwood, so he could lay against the intake. I’m open to any suggestions under $40. Thank you for any input you may have.

varmint
I would suggest an Aqua-clear 20 with pre-filter sponge.

Rylan
Hi, I use a sponge filter in my ten gallon Betta tank. It’s extremely gentle and inexpensive. They use sponge filters for fry as well and other critters that can’t have too high of a filter current. You can connect it to an air pump and control the flow with adjustable valve. This is the one that I use, but there are others. You could even make your own diy version if you wanted to.

bgclarke
A sponge filter is ideal for betta tanks.
Great biological filtration and not a lot of flow to push (or pull) the betta around.

I personally like the dual sponge style filters.
The XY-2831 sponge filter is ideal for a 10 gallon tank.
You may need to order online unless you have a local store that carries them.

CrazyScienceTeacher
Hi, I use a sponge filter in my ten gallon Betta tank. It’s extremely gentle and inexpensive. They use sponge filters for fry as well and other critters that can’t have too high of a filter current. You can connect it to an air pump and control the flow with adjustable valve. This is the one that I use, but there are others. You could even make your own diy version if you wanted to.

I like what I’ve read about this one so far. All I need is an air pump? Any recommendations for those?

CrazyScienceTeacher
A sponge filter is ideal for betta tanks.
Great biological filtration and not a lot of flow to push (or pull) the betta around.

I personally like the dual sponge style filters.
The XY-2831 sponge filter is ideal for a 10 gallon tank.
You may need to order online unless you have a local store that carries them.

I like the idea of getting a sponge filter. I think he’d be just as obsessed with squeezing between the sponges and tubing on this model lol.

Rylan
I like what I’ve read about this one so far. All I need is an air pump? Any recommendations for those?
I use a tetra whisper air pump, rated for 10g, for mine. You’ll need the airline tubing as well. There’s some pretty good tutorials on YouTube about the set up. I referred to this video when I set mine up. It’s easy!

CrazyScienceTeacher
I would suggest an Aqua-clear 20 with pre-filter sponge.

I have the 110 on my 75 and love it. I think the outflow may be a little much for him, but I have to agree. These are excellent filters!

CrazyScienceTeacher
I use a tetra whisper air pump, rated for 10g, for mine. You’ll need the airline tubing as well. There’s some pretty good tutorials on YouTube about the set up. I referred to this video when I set mine up. It’s easy!

I have probably +10ft of airline tubing from a friend lol. Thank you so much for your help!

Rylan
I have probably +10ft of airline tubing from a friend lol. Thank you so much for your help!
Sure! One thing I just remembered about that particular model is the top tube is a bit high. I already had the shorter version so I just replaced that part. I forgot I had done that. You might want to look into that. There’s this one as well.

CrazyScienceTeacher
Sure! One thing I just remembered about that particular model is the top tube is a bit high. I already had the shorter version so I just replaced that part. I forgot I had done that. You might want to look into that. There’s this one as well.

Is it something I can file down?

Rylan
Is it something I can file down?
Possibly, maybe a hack saw and file? You could also use some one inch diameter tubing as a replacement. If that doesn’t work I have another short stack I’m not using. Exact same style, just a shorter tube. I could send you the tube off that one. Sorry about that! Completely forgot.

CrazyScienceTeacher
Possibly, maybe a hack saw and file? You could also use some one inch diameter tubing as a replacement. If that doesn’t work I have another short stack I’m not using. Exact same style, just a shorter tube. I could send you the tube off that one. Sorry about that! Completely forgot.

That would be great if you could send it to me. I’ll send you the one I receive in return if you’d like. I also have some small pieces of boiled cholla wood if you’d want one of those instead or a few Indian almond leaves.

Rylan
That would be great if you could send it to me. I’ll send you the one I receive in return if you’d like. I also have some small pieces of boiled cholla wood if you’d want one of those instead or a few Indian almond leaves.
That sounds good. I’ll PM you with the deets.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Prathcraft
Replies
Views
Grammywms
Replies
Views
alliemac
Replies
Views