5 Gallon Tank Filter Suggestion For 5 1/2 Gallon Tank? Fish Can't Fight Water Current.

Katie Dawn

Reaction score
Hi All! My betta has been in his current tank with an Azoo Mignon 60 filter (turned to the very lowest strength) for about 8 months. He swam easily in the tank until a few weeks ago. He started staying in the plants almost all the time and when he would move I noticed he would slowly turn to his side so I thought he had swim bladder. But now I'm almost postive that he can't handle the flow of the water (when he turns his back fins always start to go sideways first then his body seems kind of "pulled" to the side) and he particularly has trouble staying upright when he's close to the filter (he actually gets pulled in towards it and really has to fight to get away from it.)

I saw a suggestion on here to stuff a sponge where the filtered water falls into the tank and when I did that VOILA he started swimming around the tank more and didn't have trouble staying upright. But I realized a couple days ago that a film has developed over the surface of the water and I think it's because there isn't enough flow. So I've taken the sponge out and he's having trouble staying upright again.

I'm not sure why he's having trouble now and wasn't before (I have another thread where I'm trying to sort that out) but can you recommend a filter for a 5 1/2 gallon tank that has a very gentle flow?
Thanks!

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Id reccomend keeping the sponge on the outlet and get an attachment for the intake of the filter that has a surface skimmer. The skimmer will skim the film off the surface, keeping it clear - and looking nice for you! - while also providing low flow throughout the aquarium.

(or consider the water bottle method, known commonly as a DIY baffle for HOBs. http://www.bettaboxx.com/betta-care/betta-filter-baffle/)

johnbirg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Id reccomend keeping the sponge on the outlet and get an attachment for the intake of the filter that has a surface skimmer. The skimmer will skim the film off the surface, keeping it clear - and looking nice for you! - while also providing low flow throughout the aquarium.

(or consider the water bottle method, known commonly as a DIY baffle for HOBs. http://www.bettaboxx.com/betta-care/betta-filter-baffle/)
Agree wholeheartedly! Betta's naturally live in very still water and even in rice paddies in the wild. they can breathe air from the surface and when I was breeding them I used no filtration other than what was provided by the plants. If you use foxtail plants and floating plants together you will find that the water will stay clear even without filtration and the Bettas will be much happier with very little water flow. The other consideration is that Bettas have a short lifespan - maximum 2.5 to 3 years in ideal conditions. Most Bettas are sold at about 3 - 6 months old so the fish will usually die about 2-2.5 years after purchase from natural causes. Hope this provides some help!

AJ34

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sponge filter with air control valve so you can control the bubbles, works great for Bettas. I was using internal filters but I switched because I thought they might be causing fin damage( but I think my guys just bite their fins) anyhow the sponge works equally as well as the internal filter. I don’t really own true HOBs so can’t comment on that.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 62 66.0%

Top Bottom