Filter sucking up fish...

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay so I am getting the fluval FX5 for my new 125 (should be in tomorrow, I am SO excited!) and I read some of the reviews and it said that small fish such as cory cats and loaches get sucked into the filter. It said they usually aren't harmed they are just swimming around in the filter instead of the tank.

Anyone have this filter? Do you have these issues? I want cory cats and kuhili loaches and I always remember back when I had the loaches before I'd find them in my filter. What can I do to stop it. Would panty hose over the intake work?

outlaw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Panty hose will work as well as a sponge without all the cleaning chemicals in it of course. I haven't personally used the panty hose option but have read many people doing it without issue. I have successfully used a sponge from another filter to protect fry from getting sucked in. It would suck up debris no problem but the fish were able to swim away.

Here's a pic of the sponge i was using. It was connected to an HOB filter with a tube.

The sponge does double or triple duty too. Keeps fish save, hold beneficial bacteria and is another filter. It easily removed from hose and I was able to rinse in tank water and put back on.

Hope this helps and Good Luck,
Outlaw

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom