Filter Strange Issue Important

1. Fredbetta86

Fredbetta86 Well Known Member Member

Hi,

One of my Aquaclear 20 Filters is doing something weird. About every 8 hours or so it starts making this water dripping/swishing sound. I have it baffled for my Betta Fish so usually I don’t here any sound of water except when this happens. What I do to temporarily fix this issue is unplug and plug it back in until it makes a sucking sound like it does when you Prime the filter and no more sound. About 8 hours later it starts again. Anybody have any tips. I know it sounds like not a big deal but it’s driving me mad. Lol

2. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Valued Member Member

Is it a new filter?
    If you've had it for a while and haven't given it a good cleaning, I would try that. Take off the intake tube, make sure nothing's clogged, etc.
    If it is new I'd exchange it. My aquaclear 30 never makes a peep.

3. SegiDream

SegiDream Well Known Member Member

ok following. Mine has been doing something similar for 2 nights, it sounds just like a dribbling rush of water sound. And it's inconsistent. I actually woke up on time this morning to fiddle with it. Filters clean, that's not my filters issue at the moment.

4. Bearwithfish

Bearwithfish Valued Member Member

1st thing to check is that the impeller is clean and free of obstructions.

if that does not work look for any cracks or other ways that air can get into the water up-take tube. Cracks or holes that are typically covered up and then suddenly let in air will do this.

5. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

I’ve had it for quite awhile. So just clean the intake tube?

6. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

Isn’t it strange though that it stops doing it after I unplug and plug back in? It’s also strange that it starts doing it again every 8 hours or so.. any thoughts?

7. Bearwithfish

sometimes these machines get finicky without any real rhyme or reason. could be just overheating and then slowing down. your unplugging and replugging it in may just reset whatever is causing the issue.

8. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

Ok thank you. Is there anything else I can try?

9. Bearwithfish

Were it me (and it is not) I would put th media in the tank. Unplug the filter, remove it from the tank and tear it down as far as you can without any tools. clean each part with clean water (be sure to get into that hole for the impeller) and then reassemble.

Once back on the tank see if you run into the same thing in the next 24 hours - few days. if it comes back you may just need a new filter. if not you found it ;)