Filter Stopped Working Last Night :(

ladyrivermouse
I have a Fluval Aqua Clear Power filter for my 25 gallon tank, there was a power outage around 3am last night, when I woke up this morning the filter was not running at all and the tank was cloudy. The heater, thermometer, and airpp are still working okay though. Is there anything I can do, or is it time for a new filter?

WTFish?
Is it possible that the reservoir wasn’t full enough to self Prime once the power came back on? Mine does this and I’m always worried the motor will burn out if I’m not here to notice. You could try rinsing the impeller and see if it starts back up....but it could mean you need a new one. Bummer

bizaliz3
Did you pour water into the filter to "prime" it?

If you did and that didn't work.... the other thing you can try is sticking the end of a paper clip into the propeller area (while the filter is plugged in) and give it a little bump with the paperclip...sometimes that gets the impeller moving again. (make sure there is water in the filter when you do this)

ladyrivermouse
Yeah, I thought that maybe that I needed to prime the pump so I gave it a go and that didn't work.
I'll give the paperclip trick a try.

ladyrivermouse
New filter installed

Small Tanks
ALWAYS keep a back up sponge filter in your tanks for just this occasion (and more surface agitation)!

bizaliz3
I hope you kept the media from the previous filter!!

ladyrivermouse
I hope you kept the media from the previous filter!!
Yes! I learned the hard way last time, so I had a back up this time

bizaliz3
Yes! I learned the hard way last time, so I had a back up this time

Phew!!! I got worried for a second there!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
jroe263
Replies
Views