Filter Socks

AZrodeo92
My sump gets backed up as soon as they get even a little dirty. Any recommendations?

coralbandit
I wash mine in the washing machine and have a couple replacements.Only my marine tank uses socks. When I get a week or more I am thrilled ! I use drip trays with massive amounts of mechanicals on my freshwater sumps. They last longer as there is more area.

Fashooga
NavyChief20 knows their sumps. They might know a solution.

NavyChief20
Do you have high level drain holes? You can tap some holes in the filter sock tray on the sidr to spill into the sump in the even of clogging. Filter socks are great but if you're using them with messy eaters like cichlids they will clog up quick. I have switched from filtersocks to polyfil for mechanical filtration

AZrodeo92
It seems pretty high... The water level in my tank has to be about an inch, maybe less, from the top at all times... I have mollies platies and plecos... Am I understanding you correctly, literally poke holes in my filter socks? That won't negate the purpose of the filter socks?

NavyChief20
It seems pretty high... The water level in my tank has to be about an inch, maybe less, from the top at all times... I have mollies platies and plecos... Am I understanding you correctly, literally poke holes in my filter socks? That won't negate the purpose of the filter socks?
No no so your socks are in a tray in your sump right? You need overflow holes in the upper lip of that tray.

coralbandit
I use a square sock in one of my sumps freshwater actually. I cut one side [long way] down one inch from top.It won't overflow till the sock is clogged. That tank has lots of mulm in it so the sock is meeting its match. I just got my first replacement for this setup [still sorta new] and was planning on cutting it like the other. After I swap it I will see how long it last.
I do agree that pads in drawers/trays are better then the socks but some sumps don't have room for towers.

AZrodeo92
No no so your socks are in a tray in your sump right? You need overflow holes in the upper lip of that tray.
I will send you pictures of what I have this evening... I didn't build my Sump so I'm not too good at describing or getting a clear of what other people are describing in my head

AZrodeo92
This is my sump and storage area
1536629565306.jpg

NavyChief20
So you overflows go into the sump and the filter socks. Filter sock area is pretty low. The spot it rests on I'm assuming fills up with water frequently?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PAcanis
  • Question
Replies
Views
Magua
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies