Filter Set Up S.o.s

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by madeline J oquendo, Jun 16, 2018.

1. madeline J oquendo

madeline J oquendoValued MemberMember

This is a 3.5 gallon top fin tank.
    I wanted to change the cartige I felt They where not cleaning like when I first got it I only have 1 betta in the tank. Please anyone let me kno if this ok
    I got foam,bio rings and active charcoal

Attached Files:

2. Smalltownfishfriend

SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

Did you try rinsing it out in tank water??

3. OP
    OP
    madeline J oquendo

With tank water yea

4. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

The filter is only going to "clean" to a certain extent. Its really there for your beneficial bacteria to colonize and eat up the junk in the water. If you change the filter cartridge, youre going to reset your cycle. Best thing to do is a water change, and when you remove the water from the tank, pull the cartridge and rinse it around in the old tank water and throw it back in.

5. OP
    OP
    madeline J oquendo

I
    I had no idea.so I throw it out yesterday but the foam that's there has been in since I first set the tank up is that ok since I threw it out already

6. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Anything out of water will die pretty quicker. Your bio rings and foam should have a bunch of bacteria. Just watch water parameters for the next 3-4 days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice