Filter Running Time Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by TimothyHartwick, Aug 15, 2019.

1. TimothyHartwick

TimothyHartwickValued MemberMember

I've purchased a sponge filter with cycled media from my established tank. It's a 5 gallon with no fishes and it's heavly planted. If I wanted to turn it off during the day because of the noise, how long can it last with it off without beneficial bacteria stars to die off. Besides the filter there is no other water movement.

2. DecoyCat

DecoyCatWell Known MemberMember

Hi Tim,
    By sponge filter, do you mean one of these? And if there is no fish in the 5 gallon your BB will die. Is the sponge filter running off an air pump? They can cause noise, I have found placing something under them to stop the vibration helps. Or is it the noise of the bubbles from the sponge filter? You should be able to turn the air pump down if it has that option on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    TimothyHartwick

I can't see the picture but it takes water from the bottom and pumps it out( it's like 2 to 3 cm above the water level). The water splashing is what causes the noise. There is no air tube. It just uses electricity and an impeller.

4. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Can you post a picture?

From your description, it does not sound like a traditional sponge filter.

5. DecoyCat

Is there any chance you can post a photo of it Tim? There may be options to fix the splashing noise, but I would have to see the filter to know what to suggest :)

6. OP
    OP
    TimothyHartwick

The code for the filter is RS 082A.

RS 082A, can't get a picture atm.

7. OP
    OP
    TimothyHartwick

8. DecoyCat

Hi Tim,
    im not familiar with this filter but that long bar looks like a spray bar, does it spray water out of it? Is that where the noise is coming from? Don't quote me but I think you can put that spray bar just under the water line so it doesn't splash.. Maybe @Islandvic can help us more here please? :)

9. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Its an internal filter. The long piece is a spray bar it should be just under the surface of the water. As far as off time. After a week it will start going dormant. After about a month and a half to 2 months it starts dying off. By 3 months it will be dead so running it only half the day would be fine but of you submerge the bar it should fix the noise issue.

10. OP
    OP
    TimothyHartwick

The problem is its on the bottom of the tank but the spray bar won't go under due to the height.

Do you mean if I completely turn it off? Or if I turn it off half the time? I'm getting confused.

11. Morpheus1967

Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

So are you saying that the filter is completely submerged, and the bottom of the filter sits on the bottom of the tank. But the spray bar sticks out past the top of the water line?

12. OP
    OP
    TimothyHartwick

Exactly

13. Morpheus1967

Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

The vertical arm the comes out of the filter. Is that adjustable at all? Can you cut down the height to get the spray bar so it's just below the surface of the water?

If not, take @david1978 's advice. Only running it half a day will be fine. But with no ammonia source (fish) the bacteria will start dying off.

14. DecoyCat

Tim, I just looked closely at your filter on google, it looks like the spray bar is on an arm, can you push the arm downwards (sideways) into the water? It also looks like you can push the spray bar down into the arm... Can you check these things and report back? :)

15. OP
    OP
    TimothyHartwick

It ia adjustable and I've already found the positions where it makes the least noise but it's still very noisy. And I can't cut it. Thanks everyone!

16. DecoyCat

Ooops, sorry about the copy write photo, I didn't know :eek:

17. OP
    OP
    TimothyHartwick

It’s ok, just search up RS 082A.

18. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Can you in increase the water level in the tank?

19. OP
    OP
    TimothyHartwick

It will go over the rim so no.

20. JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

Mount the filter on an angle so you can get the spray bar under the water line. The filter is not depending on gravity to control the water flow so the angle shouldn't impact operation at all. If anything, lowering the top a couple inches will help it move more water through the filter.