Filter Running Time Question 

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've purchased a sponge filter with cycled media from my established tank. It's a 5 gallon with no fishes and it's heavly planted. If I wanted to turn it off during the day because of the noise, how long can it last with it off without beneficial bacteria stars to die off. Besides the filter there is no other water movement.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
HI Tim,
By sponge filter, do you mean one of these? And if there is no fish in the 5 gallon your BB will die. Is the sponge filter running off an air pump? They can cause noise, I have found placing something under them to stop the vibration helps. Or is it the noise of the bubbles from the sponge filter? You should be able to turn the air pump down if it has that option on it.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SabrinaBrook said:
HI Tim,
By sponge filter, do you mean one of these? And if there is no fish in the 5 gallon your BB will die. Is the sponge filter running off an air pump? They can cause noise, I have found placing something under them to stop the vibration helps. Or is it the noise of the bubbles from the sponge filter? You should be able to turn the air pump down if it has that option on it.
I can't see the picture but it takes water from the bottom and pumps it out( it's like 2 to 3 cm above the water level). The water splashing is what causes the noise. There is no air tube. It just uses electricity and an impeller.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can you post a picture?

From your description, it does not sound like a traditional sponge filter.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Is there any chance you can post a photo of it Tim? There may be options to fix the splashing noise, but I would have to see the filter to know what to suggest

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Islandvic said:
Can you post a picture?

From your description, it does not sound like a traditional sponge filter.
The code for the filter is RS 082A.

SabrinaBrook said:
Is there any chance you can post a photo of it Tim? There may be options to fix the splashing noise, but I would have to see the filter to know what to suggest
RS 082A, can't get a picture atm.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SabrinaBrook said:

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
HI Tim,
I'm not familiar with this filter but that long bar looks like a spray bar, does it spray water out of it? Is that where the noise is coming from? Don't quote me but I think you can put that spray bar just under the water line so it doesn't splash.. Maybe Islandvic can help us more here please?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its an internal filter. The long piece is a spray bar it should be just under the surface of the water. As far as off time. After a week it will start going dormant. After about a month and a half to 2 months it starts dying off. By 3 months it will be dead so running it only half the day would be fine but of you submerge the bar it should fix the noise issue.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The problem is its on the bottom of the tank but the spray bar won't go under due to the height.

david1978 said:
Its an internal filter. The long piece is a spray bar it should be just under the surface of the water. As far as off time. After a week it will start going dormant. After about a month and a half to 2 months it starts dying off. By 3 months it will be dead so running it only half the day would be fine but of you submerge the bar it should fix the noise issue.
Do you mean if I completely turn it off? Or if I turn it off half the time? I'm getting confused.

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So are you saying that the filter is completely submerged, and the bottom of the filter sits on the bottom of the tank. But the spray bar sticks out past the top of the water line?

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Morpheus1967 said:
So are you saying that the filter is completely submerged, and the bottom of the filter sits on the bottom of the tank. But the spray bar sticks out past the top of the water line?
Exactly

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The vertical arm the comes out of the filter. Is that adjustable at all? Can you cut down the height to get the spray bar so it's just below the surface of the water?

If not, take david1978 's advice. Only running it half a day will be fine. But with no ammonia source (fish) the bacteria will start dying off.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tim, I just looked closely at your filter on google, it looks like the spray bar is on an arm, can you push the arm downwards (sideways) into the water? It also looks like you can push the spray bar down into the arm... Can you check these things and report back?

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Morpheus1967 said:
The vertical arm the comes out of the filter. Is that adjustable at all? Can you cut down the height to get the spray bar so it's just below the surface of the water?

If not, take david1978 's advice. Only running it half a day will be fine. But with no ammonia source (fish) the bacteria will start dying off.
It ia adjustable and I've already found the positions where it makes the least noise but it's still very noisy. And I can't cut it. Thanks everyone!

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ooops, sorry about the copy write photo, I didn't know

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SabrinaBrook said:
Ooops, sorry about the copy write photo, I didn't know
It’s ok, just search up RS 082A.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can you in increase the water level in the tank?

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Islandvic said:
Can you in increase the water level in the tank?
It will go over the rI'm so no.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mount the filter on an angle so you can get the spray bar under the water line. The filter is not depending on gravity to control the water flow so the angle shouldn't impact operation at all. If anything, lowering the top a couple inches will help it move more water through the filter.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads