filter rinsing

1. Janmitch22 Member Member

I've read that it's good to rinse your filter in used tank water...but what if your filter is slimy and filthy? Is it time to change then? I have a Whisper power filter, with the white, pillowy cartridge inserts. It's only been in for about two weeks, but that thing is slimy. I tried rinsing in old tank water, but really it did no good; the stuff is really IN there. Or was I supposed to rinse the black bio-filter instead? I rinsed both because I wasn't sure. lol I wish I could get this stuff down! :D

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I'm not really sure what each part of your filter is. It doesn't hurt to rinse both in tank water. I have a small pitcher I got from WalMart for 88 cents that I put used tank water in. Then I just swish the filter media back and forth. It's amazing how brown or black the water gets! Don't change the media out until the water doesn't filter through anymore or the flow is greatly reduced.

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

What Gunnie said ;D I have a 5 gallon bucket that I rinse mine in. I have several whispers and I rinse all the parts in used tank water.
    Carol

4. Janmitch22 Member Member

Sweet, that helps. Thanks y'all!

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

WELCOME!!! :D

Carol

6. FishFan Member Member

I also have a Whisper, that sounds like yours, and what I do is just leave them in until they looks SO disgusting (the black ones) and toss them, rinse the new ones with tap water and replace. I used to rinse all my filters with tap water-until I read here! LOL Now since I use a Python Vac, I don't save any water, so what I'm doing seems fine. Best to you! I was a brand-spankin' Newbie when I got here...stick around, you'll learn in all in time!!! Welcome ABoard ;D

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I know it looks awful, but as long as the flow of water coming out is not impaired, try not to throw out the old filter, just keep rinsing it. Some folks don't get rid of them until they literally fall apart! Then you take a piece of that nasty filter and put it inside your new one to seed it. You will spend a lot less on filter media, and your tank water should stay crystal clear. My tanks look like they don't have water in them, and I believe it's because I maintain that bacteria colony. If you throw out the media and only have one filter for that tank, your bio bugs will probably cloud your water for a few days to catch up to the ammonia supply in your tank. Old, ugly, dirty filter media is what you want. I know it looks awful, but that's how you keep your tank balanced and beautiful! ;)

8. Janmitch22 Member Member

That's clever, using a piece of the old filter to seed the new one! I broke down and replaced the filter because the water was literally trickling through. But I let the new one sit in old tank water for a little bit before installing it. I hope that was the right thing to do...because I knew I wanted the bacteria in my filter.

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Now you got it Janmitch22 !!! :D
    Carol

10. Janmitch22 Member Member

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. :D

11. Jessie_Lynn Member Member

I rinse my filter when it is slimy and filthy with a water hose with some pressure. I dont rinse all of the slime and filth off of it because that means that you are getting rid of all the good bacteria and that makes it harder for your tank to get a good filtration.

12. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Unless you have a well though, rinsing from the hose is still rinsing with chlorine and/or chloramines, so be prepared to have a mini cycle when you do this.

13. Jessie_Lynn Member Member

Sure thing ;)

14. dano569 Member Member

i rinse mine with tap water i know most peope don't but that's what i have a biowheel for to keep some bacteria in the tank.maybe i'm wrong but that's the way i've been doing it.

15. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yeah when you rinse your filters in tap water then you are killing off your beneficial bacteria. Even though you still have some in the bio-wheels its not as much as was there before the filters were rinsed so you probably experience a small cycle each time as he bacteria tries to catch back up.
    Just my thoughts
    Carol

16. dano569 Member Member

do you think i should not rinse them at all?i just don't want to rinse them in aquarium water it doesn't seem to do any good.i would like to know what everyone thinks.

17. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

You really want to rinse them out about once a month to get the bigger particles and debris out. If you use tank water you preserve the beneficial bacteria.
    There will probably be more along shortly and let you know how they do this also.
    carol

18. dano569 Member Member

what about cleaning the inside of the pump.do you use tap water for that?

19. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

You are really not supposed to rinse anything going back into the tank with untreated tap water, but I must admit when I do tank maintenance on my 100 gal. and 20 gal long, I rinse the filter tubes in the water being pulled out of the tank from my python. The water coming out is some tank water mixed with untreated tap water, so it has chlorine in it.