Filter Replacment.. bacteria?

Blondeath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So we had our power going on and off for several minutes (6ish) yesterday and my filter (Marineland 100b) won’t restart. I went out immediately after the storm to find the same filter to replace it but everything was closed due to not having power anywhere in the city/town.
So my tank hasn’t been running for 13 hours now. I know the bacteria is probably starting to die. I moved my Betta to another tank last night.
Thinking about switching to a sponge filter but how to I transfer what bacteria is left alive?

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blondeath said:
So we had our power going on and off for several minutes (6ish) yesterday and my filter (Marineland 100b) won’t restart. I went out immediately after the storm to find the same filter to replace it but everything was closed due to not having power anywhere in the city/town.
So my tank hasn’t been running for 13 hours now. I know the bacteria is probably starting to die. I moved my Betta to another tank last night.
Thinking about switching to a sponge filter but how to I transfer what bacteria is left alive?
I just had the same issue yesterday and I have been told on this site that with out oxygen the bb will die my power was off for about 8 hrs and my tank clouded up bad I figured it was a bacteria bloom do to the filters being off but transferring the remaining bb idk other than the substrate and decor which it my have died on already it to bad but good luck I’ll keep u posted on my progress cause I’m just going to let it run and test daily and wc as needed till things are back to normal

Jeroen712

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm no expert by any means but this is purely out of my own experience. Recently i've swapped out my internal filter with a cannister filter. No media was moved and nothing bad happened, a very slight bacteria bloom for around 2 days but my water was staying stable. Keep in mind that benificial bacteria grow everywhere, on your substrate, decorations, glass etc.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as the filter media remains wet things should be okay. If you have a HOB filter dump pitchers of tank water through it a few times every hour.

Fae

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The bb doesn't necessarily need a ton of water flow, it grows no matter what. I would be more concerned about maintaining the same temperature.

I'm not sure how much flow it needs, but I know it grows and eats ammonia/nitrites even in filterless jars with a fish providing more or less the only flow. So you should be fine just pouring water through the filter every so often like A201 suggested

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Blondeath said:
I've switched to and from sponge filters by using rubber bands to attach the old media to the new filter. Worked great.

New Threads