Filter Replacement

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by ThatOneAquarist, Jul 23, 2015.

1. T

ThatOneAquarist Valued Member Member

I am currently cycling a new tank. and plan on replacing the filter that it came with because its a cartridge HOB and I need bio media to feel comfortable. If I leave the current filter on it for a while after putting the new one, in can I just take the old one off after a week or two? will there be bacteria in the new one? Thanks for reading and sorry if someone already answered this somewhere.

2. D

DeniseMichele Valued Member Member

Well, I am still pretty new at all of this stuff. But are you able to put bio media (say a sponge for bio and mechanical) in your HOB filter? I mean in place of the cartridge? That's what I've done before. And if you still want a different filter, then you could take the media out of the old one and put it in the new one. I am pretty sure this would work, especially if you left both on at the same time. Alternatively, you could probably technically put the used cartridge into a new filter if you are getting a canister....

3. OP
    OP
    T

That's a great idea and I probably would do that but the filter I plan to get (an aquaclear) wont of much room for an old cartridge.

4. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Take the cartridges out of your old filter and clean them off in a small amount of water. Then once you get your aquaclear pour that water into it to help establish the bacteria in the aquaclear.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  5. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Ideally you would run both filters for at least a month.
    Another thing you could try that might speed it up is running both filters but putting the biomax from the new filter into the old filter with the old media, it might help spread the bacteria onto that biomax quicker, but that's just my theory.

6. OP
    OP
    T

Thanks freak and dan, those are some awesome ideas a appreciate it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice