Filter Recommendations For 5g Betta Tank? Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Lauren_, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Lauren_

Lauren_Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hey all,

I'm going to be finally setting up my 5G planted tank over my fall break next week, but before I get too involved, I want to know what filters would be good for it. I'm open to using a sponge filter, but the only downside is that generally they're a little on the noisy side, and this would be in my bedroom (on my desk, nonetheless!). I'm using an HOB on my betta's current tank, but it required a lot of modification since he's not the best swimmer, so I'd prefer something a little more on the gentle side. :confused:

I guess my "dream list" is the following:
    - easy to clean
    - gentle flow
    - fully submerged (won't get moldy)

I've been looking into some internal filters and the like, but there's just so much to choose from. Can someone who's had experience with some of these filters lend me some advice? I'd really appreciate it! :)

Also if there's a very quiet sponge filter and air pump somewhere out there, I'd be glad to use it! I don't mind a little noise, just so long as it's not loud. :)

2. PonzLL

PonzLLWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,500
    Experience:
    3 years
    I've used a sponge filter with a kinked airline before to slow the air flow and quiet it down a bit.

My shrimp tank uses one on full blast but I have a plexiglass lid I cut to size that only leaves one corner open for wires and hoses to come out and it blocks off almost all of the noise. It's right next to where I sleep and I don't even notice it at all.

My sons 5g betta tank was a topfin kit, and the HOB that came with that is completely silent. I can't even tell it's running and have to physically look to see water flowing lol. It had a dial to control the flow too, so you could run it at a trickle if you wanted.

This is the kit I got him, so whatever filter that is.

Looks like this is the filter in it, the 10 gallon size. I think the link takes you to the 30 gallon version for some reason.

Personally I'd ditch the cartridge and put in your own media right from the start, though I'll admit I'm just running with the stock option. It's a stupidly clean tank though, so after all this time I'm still using the original filter cartridge with no issue. I haven't even had to clean it yet after months

3. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,581
    Experience:
    2 years
    Have a look into low-flow powerfilters. You'll need to put pantyhose over the intake if you get a betta though.

4. ValerieAdams

ValerieAdamsFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,717
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have the Azoo Mignon 150 HOB on my 5.5g betta tank. It comes with a sponge that goes over the intake so the bettas fins don't get caught and it has an adjustable flow. My betta does fine with the full flow. It's very quiet as well, it's in my bedroom too lol. It's also only about $12 on Amazon

The only downside is that the filter cartridge that comes with it is a little less than ideal. I took it out and replaced it with an Aquaclear 20g sponge and biomax (less than $5 on Amazon for both).

5. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,966
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    If you get a valve on your airline it should make it less noisy. If the air pump is the problem perhaps get a tetra whisper as they are very quite. Having a tight fitting lid will also reduce the noise from the bubbles.

For a HOB I like the marina S10 as it’s completely quite with a great amount of flow adjustment. You can make the flow very fast or practically non-exsitant.

The tetra whisper internal filters are also nice and quite if you’d like to go internal.

6. OP
    OP
    Lauren_

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    1 year
    I feel like of anything, I'm really inclined to give sponge filters another try. I might look into getting a different Whisper air pump, because everyone claims they're so quiet, but you can hear mine from the other room! :confused: I'll see about getting a nice little corner sponge and give it another try, I think! Sponge filters have always been really simple and easy to clean, so I'll have to check it out again. Thank you! :)

I have a HOB on my betta's current tank and I just can't seem to keep the darn thing clean. It's got this stubborn mold/fungus that keeps growing on it, and I feel like as soon as I clean it, it comes right back! That's why I like things that are submerged, like sponge filters! :p

7. PonzLL

Ratings:
    +1,500
    Experience:
    3 years
    Why are you cleaning the slimy stuff growing on the HOB? I just leave it. I figure it's more stuff bacteria can find a way to grow on!

My whisper air pumps are super quiet (I have 3, all different sizes). Possibly yours is defective, you may have more sensitive hearing than some. Either way if it's not working out for you, maybe give another brand a shot like you said!

8. OP
    OP
    Lauren_

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    1 year
    Do you kno
    I was worried it was something harmful! Before my weekly water changes, I'd find myself coughing and sneezing until I got the filter cleaned up again. :eek:

Well, since I'm buying all the stuff to get this tank set up, I'll go on ahead and pitch in a little extra and give the Whisper another try. It's very possible I might've just had some bad luck, but I'm open to giving it a second chance. :)

9. OP
    OP
    Lauren_

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    1 year
    Whoops, I accidentally pressed reply a little early there! I just meant to ask if you knew of any specific brands and had some experience with them? :)

10. PonzLL

Ratings:
    +1,500
    Experience:
    3 years
    Just in case, do you have a pic of this "mold" you were seeing? Just want to be sure we're talking about the same thing, and you don't have something I haven't seen yet going on.

11. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,581
    Experience:
    2 years
    I've used this marina one which was very good. There may be some small marina filters on the market. I'd recommend using the spray bar as they are pretty powerful.

12. OP
    OP
    Lauren_

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    1 year
    Here's the best picture I could muster; it's getting close to water change day for sure. :confused:
    Imgur

13. OP
    OP
    Lauren_

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    1 year
    I did some google snooping and found an internal model called the i25, is that the one you're referring to? It looks nice, though I don't see a spray bar on it, so I'm not sure if it's the one or not. :confused:

14. PonzLL

Ratings:
    +1,500
    Experience:
    3 years
    Ok that's like actual mold. I haven't seen that in any of my tanks before. Not sure exactly how you'd go about preventing that. Hope someone else can chime in.

15. OP
    OP
    Lauren_

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    1 year
    Yeah, it's definitely been giving me some issues. The odd thing is that I didn't have that before. It only just recently started popping up about 2-3 months ago. :(

16. CobraLA

CobraLANew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Have you looked at the small canister Filter from SunSun the 602B? I've had one for over 6 months on my 5.5 gallon tank, and it has valves on it to slow the water down if you need to. And if you want to go a little larger the 603B is good to, the 603B is 32cm tall & the 602B is 29cm tall. The main reason I like the canister filters is because they are closed & if you have any bad smells they don't get out into the air, and they are super easy to clean. There's a few Vids on YouTube you can go watch them, and you may like it.

17. bettabo1

bettabo1Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +70
    my whisper air pump was loud compared to my aquatop 40 gallon air pump. If you use a control valve to dial down the prussure. Make sure to use a t valve to bleed off air or it will just make the pump hotter and louder. I like azoo mignon 60 filters, i use fluval mini 20 sponges and fluval 20 bio bags in mine. I cut the original sponge into a square and place one corner under the outflow lid.

18. OP
    OP
    Lauren_

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thank you! I'll go check them out! :)

Become a Fishlore Member