20 Gallon Tank Filter Recommendation

Kathylee

When I started up my new 20 gallon, it was an Aqueon Kit on sale. It cost me the same amount as my 5gallon Aqueon kit years ago so I thought "awesome! great steal," included was 'Aqueon QuietFlow LED PRO 10 Aquarium Power Filter' for up to 20gallons.. I have mollies & a Pleco who both seem to constantly be pooing :) so I just upgraded to the 20 it says for up to 30 gallons & it just doesn't seem any more powerful than the other one. So I'm not very impressed with it. Any info on better brands? HOB that can handle these messy fish?

Justin2526

I really like the fluval C series hob filters. I have a C3 for my 29 gallon. This one has a gph of around 153 which is perfect, around 5x the volume. Yours could probably do a c2, unsure of the gph on that one though. That being said, what kind of pleco us in there and how many mollies?

Flyfisha

Hi Kathleen and all,
Are you seeing ammonia or nitrites in your water test? If not your filters are doing the most important job to 100% capacity. If you are seeing poop on the substrate it is no different to having poop in a filter as both are still in the water.
Only the human can remove solids ether from a filter or from the substrate/ floor.
Do you have a vacuuming technique with two hands to stop start the vacuum as you go?
A turkey baster is also handy for picking up daily solids. Picking up poop is not necessary but it’s handy if you have guests coming around for dinner etc.

A helpful video we can all learn from that covers using two hands to deep vacuum gravel.

Kathylee

Justin2526 said:
I really like the fluval C series hob filters. I have a C3 for my 29 gallon. This one has a gph of around 153 which is perfect, around 5x the volume. Yours could probably do a c2, unsure of the gph on that one though. That being said, what kind of pleco us in there and how many mollies?
It's a juvineille bristle nose Pleco, he was about 1 inch when I bought him a few months ago, he's probably doubled in size. There's 4 mollies & 3 Julii Corydoras.

Flyfisha said:
Hi Kathleen and all,
Are you seeing ammonia or nitrites in your water test? If not your filters are doing the most important job to 100% capacity. If you are seeing poop on the substrate it is no different to having poop in a filter as both are still in the water.
Only the human can remove solids ether from a filter or from the substrate/ floor.
Do you have a vacuuming technique with two hands to stop start the vacuum as you go?
A turkey baster is also handy for picking up daily solids. Picking up poop is not necessary but it’s handy if you have guests coming around for dinner etc.

A helpful video we can all learn from that covers using two hands to deep vacuum gravel.

Thank you & yes I actually learned how to do this type of gravel vaccuming, while researching on FishLore. My tank has no issues with nitrates, nitrates, or ammonia, it's been cycled for a few months. The tank is downstairs, in the living room of a finished basement. I'm not concerned about the look of the waste, I just meant Mollies have a high bioload & the 10 gallon filter that came with my tank just didn't seem to do a great job, but I have a lot of live plants, and the mollies also pick at them and plant matter gets Gunked up in it. I've been running the new 20gallon Aqueon filter alongside the old 10 gallon one to collect & grow a good colony of bacteria within it, but having these 2 filters sit side by side, the bigger one just doesn't seem to be much more powerful.

AggressiveAquatics

I really recommend the marine land biowheel filter it keeps my water crystal clear even after feeding messy frozen foods

Flyfisha

The bigger filter has more room for bacteria to live on. It does not have to more powerful. However if it’s not got a good amount of flowing water coming out it may be in need of a clean. The impeller ( little fan) that moves the water needs to be cleaned. Some water supplies mean the impeller needs to be cleaned more often than than in other cities. If you have never pulled it apart you should have a look before you toss it in a back cupboard as a spare. If you have no pre filter over the intake it’s possible plant material is on the blades of the impeller or in the hole it spins in?

You ask for a recommendation for a different filter. As this tank is not in a bedroom you might consider a sponge filter with no moving parts.? They do make a noise that is not to everyones liking as they go bubble bubble 24/7.

Utar

I have not done this but thinking about it. Placing a wave maker near the bottom of the tank near the substrate. Do this in trouble spot areas where detritus collects and doesn't move around. That way the wave maker will keep the water moving to push the detritus, so your HOB can pick it up.

Mrmarra77

Justin2526 said:
Those are great but I like the fluval 50 AC,its up around 200 GPH.Their very good filters also.

Mrmarra77 said:
Those are great but I like the fluval 50 AC,its up around 200 GPH.Their very good filters also.
Plecos can be very messy i would say apart from the filtering..regular water changes should keep all that pooing in check.Do you have a BN or Common pleco,they vary in size?

Kathylee

Mrmarra77 said:

Plecos can be very messy i would say apart from the filtering..regular water changes should keep all that pooing in check.Do you have a BN or Common pleco,they vary in size?
He's a Bristlenose I've had a few people on here tell me that their BN don't get over 5 inches, his tag said 6inches tops. Common plecos get really big to my knowledge like 15inch+.

Kathylee

Like I said I am not worried about the "look", I was just thinking that my 10 gallon filter didnt seem reasonable for the bioload within this 20 gal tank. I do my gravel Vaccuming weekly & I clean the intake tube of plant matter, I check the propeller. Just wanted some opinions on other filters, because I've only ever used Aqueon.
Buy Thank you All! I will look into Fluval, I've used a few of their products, & I buy Fluval Brand sponges for my Fry Tank to put over the filter intake.

Kathylee

This is what I just purchased 1 week ago:

Aqueon QuietFlow LED PRO 20 Aquarium Power Filter
125 GPH, For fresh or saltwater aquariums up to 30 gallons. Keeps water crystal clear with an enhanced five-stage filtration process including; mechanical, chemical (carbon), biological, stationary wet/dry, and specialty media (ammonia / phosphate).

LED cartridge change indicator that is specific to your unique aquarium needs
Auto self-priming start pump eliminates messy spills-even if the power goes out
For fresh or saltwater aquariums
Includes one free filter cartridge and one free specialty media insert

Mrmarra77

Kathylee said:
He's a Bristlenose I've had a few people on here tell me that their BN don't get over 5 inches, his tag said 6inches tops. Common plecos get really big to my knowledge like 15inch+.
yes the common pleco reaches to about 24inches..i have one and he is already 4 to 5 inches,but his current housing is nor big enough.I have a 20 gallon long

Top Bottom