Filter Recommendation For Planted 20 Gallon?

Mettie7
Early next week I'm going to be setting up a planted 20 gallon high I got from Petsmart with some Neon Tetras (6-8) and Sparkling Gourami (4-6), maybe an American Flagfish (1-2). I haven't had an aquarium since I was a kid and was wondering what kind of filtration would be necessary for a set up like this?

It came with a triangle filter, but will that be enough? Would a sponge or hang-on-back be better? I'm open to pretty much anything except a canister filter, I don't really feel like spending that much for a smaller tank.

I'm also not really sure how to move filter media from a cartridge to a different filter either if I do end up changing midway, help would be appreciated!

And since I'm here, is that a good bioload? Am I able to add a few more of anything or should I scale back?

Buganjimo
I’m not good at stocking, so I’ll just add my ideas on filters lol. I suggest an aquaclear 50 for your 20, I have one on mine and it’s great.

Mettie7
I’m not good at stocking, so I’ll just add my ideas on filters lol. I suggest an aquaclear 50 for your 20, I have one on mine and it’s great.
Would a small sponge filter on the intake tube help with bacteria?

Buganjimo
I don't think it’s necessary imo, aquaclears have tons of room for bb growth and such. You can take out the carbon and just fill it up with filter floss/ceramic rings for bb.

Mettie7
I don't think it’s necessary imo, aquaclears have tons of room for bb growth and such. You can take out the carbon and just fill it up with filter floss/ceramic rings for bb.
How do you clean the floss/rings, if at all? I would assume it'll get kind of dirty after a while. Is that possible without removing the bb already there?

Buganjimo
How do you clean the floss/rings, if at all? I would assume it'll get kind of dirty after a while. Is that possible without removing the bb already there?
Once in a while (once every month or two) just swish it around in some tank water.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tocandesu
Replies
Views
BlockHead1981
  • Question
Replies
Views
Utar
  • Question