Filter Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by kuopan, Mar 23, 2010.

1. k

kuopan Valued Member Member

I have an external rena canister filter and i've been feeding my fish live blood/black worms. the intake appeared to take some of the live blood worms in. should i worry about this? will something grow in the filter and should i consider cleaning the filter?

also, i forgot to put the bloodworms back in the fridge and the bloodworms died overnight. is it still safe to feed the fish with dead bloodworms? i know frozen blood worms are obviously okay. but what about live ones that i just forgot to put back into the fridge?

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Kuopan,

First I would like to suggest that (if it's possible as I'm not familiar with your filter) you cover the intake tube of the filter with a sponge. Aqua Clear makes great sponges and all you have to do is slice an X in the top of the sponge and slide it over the intake tube. This will help to prevent the live worms from being sucked into the filter.

Second, if the live food has perished then personally I wouldn't use it. I'd be afraid it may have spoiled. Let's see what other responses you receive.

Ken
    :animal0068:I've moved your thread to the Filters and Filtration section of the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    k

Thanks Aquarist!

If I slide a sponge in the intake tub, it'll prevent debris and waste (poo) from being sucked into the filter and i don't really want that. = /

i just read somewhere that bloodworms can lead to mosquitos? not quite sure how that works and actually wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were regarding this. i don't want to create a mosquito nest in my tank or house! hahaha

4. g

gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Hi kuopan,yes live bloodworms that bury themselves in the subsrtate do hatch in to mozzies, but they are the non biting kind, hope this helps.
    Nick

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Kuopan,

Just to let you know, that I have all of my filter intake tubes covered and so do many other members. The sponge won't inhibit the filter from doing its job :) You can rinse the sponge in siphoned tank water just like you would for your other filter media. This also gives you more housing for good bacteria. :)
    Ken

6. d

domingo3 Valued Member Member

Good idea!

7. OP
    OP
    k

what if it gets stuck in the filter? will this still result in hatching into mozzies?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice