filter question Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by aquarium dunce, Dec 24, 2009.

1. aquarium dunceValued MemberMember

Merry Christmas!!! I am starting a 30 gallon freshwater tank. I will be using an Aqua Clear filter... my question is should I go for the 50 gallon rated one or pay 5 dollars more to get the 70 gallon.
    I am using sand as substrate.... is it the same as gravel as far as how much.... 1 gallon=2 lbs of substrate??
    Thanks!!
    Becky

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

for a HOB filter, you want about 300 gallons per hour flow rate. If I remember correctly, the 70 does that.

merry christmas, becky!

edit: okay, I looked it up. You want to go with the AC70. The 50 will give you inadequate filtration.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  3. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning. I agree with Meenu. I have the Aqua Clear 70 on my 26g and it does a fantastic job. Congrats on the new tank!
    Ken

4. patzeeValued MemberMember

Definately the 70!

As for the sand, I have about 20 lbs in my 29 gallon which gives about a 1" depth.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  5. ccb04

ccb04Well Known MemberMember

As others have said ... go with the AC70. Full flow = 300gph ... and with the flow control knob fully turned to low, you can reduce that to as little as 100gph during feeding if you choose.

Congrats on the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice