filter question

1. BethanysBoy88 Initiate Member

So I have a 10 gal. tank and a power filter for it. I had guppies, neon tetras, and red barbs and all have perished due to getting stuck on the filter intake. I just got an undergravel filter before researching it and I've only heard bad stuff about them. I now have 2 dwarf gouramis, 2 red barbs, and a good size sucker fish. I'd like to get more guppies and switch to an undergravel filter, but I have no idea if I should. Anyone have some advise?

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

I would say that you are at your limit with the amount of fish you currently have in the 10 gallon tank. Is the sucker fish a common pleco? If so, it will get way too big for a 10 gallon.

As far as undergravel filters go, they get a bad rap because of all the gunk that will build up over time under the plates. This can lead to problems down the road if you don't break it down and thorougly clean under the plates. You can prolong this from happening if you perfrom thorough gravel vacuuming frequently.

Did your fish die first and then get sucked up by the filter intake? How long has your tank been set up?

3. BethanysBoy88 Initiate Member

Hey Mike, thanks for the info. In response to your questions, the guppies died b/c their tail, being very big, got stuck on the filter tube. One of my tetras died b/c the little buggar committed suicide! I noticed him missing and looked in the filter itself and tube and didn't find him. I keep my tank on top of my dresser drawers. It's about 4 foot high. I keep my laundry basket @ the bottom b/c I don't use the bottom 2 shelves. And i keep the little flap on the hood of the tank open b/c there was some condensation on the inside if I closed it. So I was folding my laundry one day and I saw my little tetra stuck to the side of one of my socks! He's the only one to do that. The others got stuck on the filter.