Filter question - Page 2

Monkeypoint

I have a Whisper Power Filter 60 for my 55 gallon tank (has two carbon filter media compartments and clips onto the tank). I just bought a new canister filter - Eheim 4+ Pro 250. I have a planted aquarium with two angelfish (app. 2.5" from top to bottom fins) and 6 very small Siamese Algae Eaters that will grow to about an inch in length. I'm adding 10 assassin snails to deal with a moderate invasive snail problem. Should I ditch the Whisper filter or is it better to keep them both?

Redviper

That was it! I googled 16/22 and got 5/8, but that didn't really help a whole lot as there is a bunch of tubing with an interior dimension of 5/8. I bought a length of 5/8 ID 7/8 OD and that did the trick. It's a snug fit and not as difficult to shove it onto the pipe as the 16/22.

Finally! Queue Rocky theme song. I got everything sorted out. I bought some clear tubing at Home Depot (5/8 ID, 7/8 OD). Close enough. Attached the spray bar to the outflow pipe, primed the canister. Tiny bubbles. Plugged her in, and heard...nothing. I had to stick my hand below the spray bar to confirm something was actually happening. It's working!

It's great that you've figured out how to correct your issue. There's a third measurement that has vexed me for years now. The hard connection on whatever it is you want to plumb. In liquid cooling it's called a "barb." They can be composed of anything from plastic (like on a filter), to polished stainless and can cost as much as $75 a pop.

In liquid cooling it's always simple. The "barb" or fitting, is 1/2 in. outer diameter, the tubing is 1/2 inch inner diameter. The barb and the tubing are designed to work together, without complication. The reason this is so is because a leak in your computer can cost a face-full of cheddar. I wish aquarium kit manufacturers were aware that I feel the same same way about my wet pets and want the tubing connections to be foolproof as well. Anyway, I'm glad your kit works the way you want, MP! ;)

Attachments

• female.jpg
    female.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

It's great that you've figured out how to correct your issue. There's a third measurement that has vexed me for years now. The hard connection on whatever it is you want to plumb. In liquid cooling it's called a "barb." They can be composed of anything from plastic (like on a filter), to polished stainless and can cost as much as $75 a pop.

In liquid cooling it's always simple. The "barb" or fitting, is 1/2 in. outer diameter, the tubing is 1/2 inch inner diameter. The barb and the tubing are designed to work together, without complication. The reason this is so is because a leak in your computer can cost a face-full of cheddar. I wish aquarium kit manufacturers were aware that I feel the same same way about my wet pets and want the tubing connections to be foolproof as well. Anyway, I'm glad your kit works the way you want, MP! ;)
Every time I have to upgrade to a new Mac, I have to drop a boatload of cash on cables and adapters and hubs in order to hook up all of the peripherals.

Get this: while I was out of the house for like, the 45 minute trip to Home Depot and back to pick up the tubing, my dog shredded the DIY poly that I'd left on the chair in the living room. I came home to a massacre of fluff. Dergs!

Upvote 0

Redviper

Every time I have to upgrade to a new Mac, I have to drop a boatload of cash on cables and adapters and hubs in order to hook up all of the peripherals.

Get this: while I was out of the house for like, the 45 minute trip to Home Depot and back to pick up the tubing, my dog shredded the DIY poly that I'd left on the chair in the living room. I came home to a massacre of fluff. Dergs!

Is there a computer sub forum here? :) I've been into PC's for so long that talking about the technology is part of my DNA! I know what you mean, I've thought for a quite a while that nearly every upgrade in contemporary computing is a grift to grow bank accounts. BTW, my first REAL computer was an Apple 2, with the legendary 6800 CPU. ;)

I love dogs. The way they jump back and forth between a weird intelligence and utter stupidity is just hilarious. I came back in after store trip and my favorite dog (80lb female red nose) had found a huge blueberry muffin. Her head was covered crumbs and I had to clear blueberry's out of her jowls.

I know you weren't aware of this, but due to your dog's exploits you have a chance to use a version of this type of foam, sort of:

Brightwater "H" series

So far it works like I had hoped, meaning it doesn't dampen flow too much, filters very well and is easy to service. An unusual aspect of it is that it doesn't float. I know this from having a few pieces in my tank. There's no PPI rating for it that I can find. The sad part is that it's nearly as expensive as AAA ceramic BIOmedia! BTW MP, what's the model number of your Eheim?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
AllThingsPets