Filter question

Monkeypoint

I have a Whisper Power Filter 60 for my 55 gallon tank (has two carbon filter media compartments and clips onto the tank). I just bought a new canister filter - Eheim 4+ Pro 250. I have a planted aquarium with two angelfish (app. 2.5" from top to bottom fins) and 6 very small Siamese Algae Eaters that will grow to about an inch in length. I'm adding 10 assassin snails to deal with a moderate invasive snail problem. Should I ditch the Whisper filter or is it better to keep them both?

carsonsgjs

Personally id run both. I know it says that the eheim is suitable for aquariums of 55 gallons but i think you could probably almost halve that once it is full of media etc.

ps siamese algae eaters grow to around 6 inches. Are you sure it is those that you have?

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

Okay, thanks. This is very good to know. I'm going to leave it.

6 inches!!!! Yikes! Yeah. I'm sure these are definitely SAE. I don't know how I managed to miss that detail. I did run tank parameters and livestock through a calculator. The results indicated I did not have adequate filtration with the Whisper and suggested the Eheim. When I substituted it for the Whisper, I was within the safety zone. I got the algae eaters about 4 days ago and they immediately went to work on the Blackbeard algae bloom. I'm embarrassed to say I was totally clueless about monitoring water conditions for phosphate buildup, PH, GH, KH, etc. I did water changes, but that was about it. I'm learning more and more everyday and this forum feels like being back in school.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

WetElbows

In all honesty, with the current bio-load you have in your 55, the HOB (Whisper) would be sufficient. *(considering your test your water weekly)
As noted by Carsonsgjs above... run both. Use the Eheim as your primary filtration, and your Whisper as a water polisher. Loose those cartridges, and shove poly-fil into it.
Best of luck!

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

In all honesty, with the current bio-load you have in your 55, the HOB (Whisper) would be sufficient. *(considering your test your water weekly)
As noted by Carsonsgjs above... run both. Use the Eheim as your primary filtration, and your Whisper as a water polisher. Loose those cartridges, and shove poly-fil into it.
Best of luck!
You mean the carbon filled filter cartridges for the Whisper? Thanks for the advice!

Upvote 0

WetElbows

You mean the carbon filled filter cartridges for the Whisper? Thanks for the advice!
Yes! You can replace them with the Poly. In fact, you can fill the entire void behind the cartridges go. It will slow the flow quite a bit, but it's 100% water polish.

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

Mind blown!

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

Mind blown!
Okay, one more for you: do you just leave the poly in there permanently, or should I periodically replace or rinse it?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

When you get the Eheim ( I had one of these) Ditch the black plastic things. They are a pain when you clean the filter. They float all over the place and make it take longer to clean. Buy some other Bio media. More Substrat or Matrix or something.

When you take the cartridges out of the HOB tear all of the cloth off and put it under the media in the bottom tray so it flows your established bacteria into the new media. Make sure it doesnt block too much flow by spacing it some. Dont clean your filter for a month or two. By that time you could pull a chunk of the cartridge cloth out. I would do it a piece at a time.

Bottom is Sponges and floss Middle is Substrat and top would be the new media you get.

Yes you have to change the floss in the HOB it will get pretty scanky fairly quick.

Upvote 0

WetElbows

Okay, one more for you: do you just leave the poly in there permanently, or should I periodically replace or rinse it?
You would replace the Poly when it becomes dirty.. you'll see it change from sterile white to a fuzzy brown color. Course you can also wait till the flow becomes about half of what it was when new.
Good luck!

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

You would replace the Poly when it becomes dirty.. you'll see it change from sterile white to a fuzzy brown color. Course you can also wait till the flow becomes about half of what it was when new.
Good luck!
Awesome, thank you!

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

You should post a pic of the siamese algae eaters just to make sure. I've seen people misidentify all sorts of species as SAE. Not saying you're wrong or anything of course, just might be a good idea

Upvote 0

RayClem

It is a good idea to have two filters. That way, when you clean the canister of replace the cartridges in the HOB, the other filter will still be able to process the waste. Never clean both at the same time.

Plastic bio balls or rings are some of the least effective filter media you can have in a canister filter. They are great for trickle/shower filter or in a sump, but there are much better media for a canister filter. Some examples are ceramic rings, lava rock, and pumice (Seachem Matrix is pumice).

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

You should post a pic of the siamese algae eaters just to make sure. I've seen people misidentify all sorts of species as SAE. Not saying you're wrong or anything of course, just might be a good idea
They're really small, but I'm gonna try to snap a pic (they stick together at least). I got them from aquaticarts.com (they tank breed) and had to wait about 3 weeks before they were back in stock so I'm fairly certain they're SAE (not to mention they've been chowing down on BB algae the second they hit the water).
It is a good idea to have two filters. That way, when you clean the canister of replace the cartridges in the HOB, the other filter will still be able to process the waste. Never clean both at the same time.

Plastic bio balls or rings are some of the least effective filter media you can have in a canister filter. They are great for trickle/shower filter or in a sump, but there are much better media for a canister filter. Some examples are ceramic rings, lava rock, and pumice (Seachem Matrix is pumice).
This is excellent advice! Honestly, I had to google Eheim black plastic screw things because I was was completely stumped by them. At first, I thought they were packing material. More than happy to get rid of them. I've assembled the filter but haven't put it in the tank yet, so this is really good to know. Looking up filter media now!

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

When you get the Eheim ( I had one of these) Ditch the black plastic things. They are a pain when you clean the filter. They float all over the place and make it take longer to clean. Buy some other Bio media. More Substrat or Matrix or something.

When you take the cartridges out of the HOB tear all of the cloth off and put it under the media in the bottom tray so it flows your established bacteria into the new media. Make sure it doesnt block too much flow by spacing it some. Dont clean your filter for a month or two. By that time you could pull a chunk of the cartridge cloth out. I would do it a piece at a time.

Bottom is Sponges and floss Middle is Substrat and top would be the new media you get.

Yes you have to change the floss in the HOB it will get pretty scanky fairly quick.

I just wanted to go over my setup to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly (I'm easily confused! ):

On my Eheim 4+ Pro, the bottom tray is full of the black plastic media. I'm going to toss those out and replace with Matrix (arriving tomorrow).

The middle tray is filled with Eheim media (porous little pumice balls). Should I leave that in or would it be better to replace with Matrix or Puregin (I got both).

The top cartridge has a stiff blue sponge layer. In or out for the sponge?

There is also a white poly fiber filter. I'm not sure where that goes.

Lastly, I should dump the carbon out of the HOB cartridges, shred the cloth and put those shredded pieces under the Matrix in that bottom tray.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I just wanted to go over my setup to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly (I'm easily confused! ):

On my Eheim 4+ Pro, the bottom tray is full of the black plastic media. I'm going to toss those out and replace with Matrix (arriving tomorrow).

The middle tray is filled with Eheim media (porous little pumice balls). Should I leave that in or would it be better to replace with Matrix or Puregin (I got both).

The top cartridge has a stiff blue sponge layer. In or out for the sponge?

There is also a white poly fiber filter. I'm not sure where that goes.

Lastly, I should dump the carbon out of the HOB cartridges, shred the cloth and put those shredded pieces under the Matrix in that bottom tray.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!
The sponges should go on the bottom tray with the poly on top and old fabric under the sponges. The middle/top tray is either the matrix or substrat one in each tray. Doesn't matter which one you could even mix them if you want.

Upvote 0

RayClem

Seachem Matrix is pumice, so it might be the same as the Eheim media. It is the plastic rings/balls that are not so great.

In most canister filters, the water flows down a tube to the bottom of the filter and then back up through the media to a pump in the lid. Thus, the coarsest sponges should go at the bottom followed by finer sponges, then the bio media. Some people like to put a filter pad at the very top as a polishing filter, but others say that you are best leaving the pad out so debris does not get trapped in the media. It is your decision. The same thing goes for chemical media like carbon or Purigen. Some like to use it, others say skip it.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Seachem Matrix is pumice, so it might be the same as the Eheim media. It is the plastic rings/balls that are not so great.

In most canister filters, the water flows down a tube to the bottom of the filter and then back up through the media to a pump in the lid. Thus, the coarsest sponges should go at the bottom followed by finer sponges, then the bio media. Some people like to put a filter pad at the very top as a polishing filter, but others say that you are best leaving the pad out so debris does not get trapped in the media. It is your decision. The same thing goes for chemical media like carbon or Purigen. Some like to use it, others say skip it.
I always heard to put floss before the bio media to keep it cleaner. Sponges/floss/bio media/chemical media.

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

Yeah, this is all extremely helpful. I've been watching youtube videos I think I now have a much better understanding of how the canister filter works and how to properly set it up. Before watching the videos, I was basically rote learning without understanding the function of the filter or the media. BTW - none were super impressed with the Eheim filters, although the 2 series were given better ratings than the 350 and 600 4+ pros. The 250, when set up as advised really only has one biological filter tray. I removed the Eheim media and replaced it with Matrix. Who knows - they may be equally good. I'm waiting for DIY filter pads that I plan on putting in the bottom tray: coarse, medium, fine.

Upvote 0

GlennO

I always heard to put floss before the bio media to keep it cleaner. Sponges/floss/bio media/chemical media.

Yes on top of the finest sponge and before the bio media is technically ideal. But it needs replacing frequently so some people put it on top of the bio media on the top tray where it is easier to access and replace. I don't think it matters a whole lot assuming you're rinsing your bio media occasionally.

I removed the Eheim media and replaced it with Matrix. Who knows - they may be equally good.

If it was Eheim Substrat Pro I'd consider that to be equivalent to Matrix or so close to not make much of a difference.

Upvote 0

Redviper

There was a time where I'd have agreed with this wholeheartedly. There are some indications that things have changed with plastic media, by a bit at least. The trick with contemporary plastic ball or ring media is texture. If it's textured properly, and protected with smart foam, it doesn't function half bad for growing BB. some of the newer ball media comes with spheres of biofoam inside. I can't attest to whether any of these items work though.

As far as Matrix (which I've used extensively in an FX6 and 406), it should be known that by its nature, variable size and shape, it's more restrictive compared to some of the newer hard media offerings. Matrix can also pick up a load of detritus if not protected.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

The plastic spirals in the Eheim are not textured. They float and are a general pain

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

There was a time where I'd have agreed with this wholeheartedly. There are some indications that things have changed with plastic media, by a bit at least. The trick with contemporary plastic ball or ring media is texture. If it's textured properly, and protected with smart foam, it doesn't function half bad for growing BB. some of the newer ball media comes with spheres of biofoam inside. I can't attest to whether any of these items work though.

As far as Matrix (which I've used extensively in an FX6 and 406), it should be known that by its nature, variable size and shape, it's more restrictive compared to some of the newer hard media offerings. Matrix can also pick up a load of detritus if not protected.
I tossed the black plastic screws that came with the Eheim and replaced them with Matrix. When you say detritus, are you referring to general tank waste that will collect in the media tray? Do you think it would be better to put the Matrix in a filter bag? Since the Matrix rocks are bigger than the pumice, I just put them in the tray after rinsing the dust off of them.
Yes on top of the finest sponge and before the bio media is technically ideal. But it needs replacing frequently so some people put it on top of the bio media on the top tray where it is easier to access and replace. I don't think it matters a whole lot assuming you're rinsing your bio media occasionally.

I'm just waiting for the sponges, but that's how I plan to set it up - coarse, medium, fine in bottom tray, bio media on top of that, top tray in the 250 is a blue sponge layer.

If it was Eheim Substrat Pro I'd consider that to be equivalent to Matrix or so close to not make much of a difference.

Upvote 0

Redviper

I tossed the black plastic screws that came with the Eheim and replaced them with Matrix. When you say detritus, are you referring to general tank waste that will collect in the media tray? Do you think it would be better to put the Matrix in a filter bag? Since the Matrix rocks are bigger than the pumice, I just put them in the tray after rinsing the dust off of them.

Yup, and considering the way tank biology works, waste is slowly reduced to smaller and smaller bit's, which jams up Matrix quickly. In my experience, bag or no bag, Matrix doesn't do it's job as well as the stuff that comes more uniform in size/shape. Don't get me wrong MP, if Matrix works for you it works. In my case, I tend to be more obssesive than most, and I enjoy fine-tuning my activities. ;)

Upvote 0

Redviper

FYI MP, I'm using this stuff in both of my filters. Since you're satisfied with Matrix, they might not be worth bending your wallet for:

Brightwater Ceramic

biohome ceramic

So far both work well as the last media in my filters before the water is exhausted back into the tank. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

FYI MP, I'm using this stuff in both of my filters. Since you're satisfied with Matrix, they might not be worth bending your wallet for:

Brightwater Ceramic

biohome ceramic

So far both work well as the last media in my filters before the water is exhausted back into the tank. Good luck!
I couldn't even tell you as of now wether I'm satisfied with the Matrix. The Eheim is brand new and because I tend to do everything a-backwards, I bought the filter first, started researching how it actually works after. So as of this moment, I'm still waiting for a DIY sponge kit to be delivered so I can start using the filter. I already dumped the Matrix into the tray so it's too late to return it. Mind you, if you had said anything to me 5 weeks ago about bio media or testing water quality or how canister filters work or hermaphroditic snails, I would have looked at you like you were speaking Urdu. This entire journey into having a better understanding of my aquarium began in early May when I noticed my plants and rocks were covered in dark algae about as long as Cher's hair. One thing led to another.

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

I couldn't even tell you as of now wether I'm satisfied with the Matrix. The Eheim is brand new and because I tend to do everything a-backwards, I bought the filter first, started researching how it actually works after. So as of this moment, I'm still waiting for a DIY sponge kit to be delivered so I can start using the filter. I already dumped the Matrix into the tray so it's too late to return it. Mind you, if you had said anything to me 5 weeks ago about bio media or testing water quality or how canister filters work or hermaphroditic snails, I would have looked at you like you were speaking Urdu. This entire journey into having a better understanding of my aquarium began in early May when I noticed my plants and rocks were covered in dark algae about as long as Cher's hair. One thing led to another.
If you could turn back time, right?

sorry, couldnt help it!

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

If you could turn back time, right?

sorry, couldnt help it!
You owe me for a new laptop. I just blurffed coffee all over the screen.

Upvote 0

Basil

Just saw this thread but welcome to another Marylander!
Since getting back into the hobby after about 35 years, I’ve learned that I actually like canisters way better than HOB. My nice, small LFS sells and recommends Fluval canisters and I’ve been very happy with the two I have. Well less happy with the older one but good to see they addressed those issues so my newer one has been great!

Upvote 0

Redviper

I couldn't even tell you as of now wether I'm satisfied with the Matrix. The Eheim is brand new and because I tend to do everything a-backwards, I bought the filter first, started researching how it actually works after.

This is as good an approach to getting started in the hobby as any. Depending on how far you get into the lifestyle and how fast, you'll have many heartfelt opinions soon. :) I look forward to reading what you think about Matrix and your filter in general, for sure. Please post a link for your foam kit. As filter media goes, it's getting more interesting all the time. Keep us posted MP, because I get the feeling that your journey into wet pets is going to be interesting.

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

Just saw this thread but welcome to another Marylander!
Since getting back into the hobby after about 35 years, I’ve learned that I actually like canisters way better than HOB. My nice, small LFS sells and recommends Fluval canisters and I’ve been very happy with the two I have. Well less happy with the older one but good to see they addressed those issues so my newer one has been great!
Yay fellow Marylander! Of course, I started hearing all about the Fluval several weeks after I bought the Eheim.

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

This is as good an approach to getting started in the hobby as any. Depending on how far you get into the lifestyle and how fast, you'll have many heartfelt opinions soon. :) I look forward to reading what you think about Matrix and your filter in general, for sure. Please post a link for your foam kit. As filter media goes, it's getting more interesting all the time. Keep us posted MP, because I get the feeling that your journey into wet pets is going to be interesting.
I just got the foam kit. They sell them on Amazon: LTWHOME 18" x 12" DIY Carton Foam Fine Filter Sponge Set for Aquarium Pond (Pack of 1 Set) Amazon.com : LTWHOME 18" x 12" DIY Carton Foam Fine Filter Sponge Set for Aquarium Pond (Pack of 1 Set) : Pet Supplies

They come vacuum sealed so you have to fluff them out and let them sit for a couple of days before using them.

Attachments

• FF136C13-1A83-4B35-A233-085933E03052.jpeg
    FF136C13-1A83-4B35-A233-085933E03052.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 1DDD3DB6-EE5A-4E34-B273-383D57E3AB31.jpeg
    1DDD3DB6-EE5A-4E34-B273-383D57E3AB31.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

Redviper

Great find, MP. I don't have a load of experience with DIY foam, but once I figured out how to cut it, making my own mats turned into serious fun. :)

Upvote 0

Redviper

The sponges should go on the bottom tray with the poly on top and old fabric under the sponges. The middle/top tray is either the matrix or substrat one in each tray. Doesn't matter which one you could even mix them if you want.

Or he could go with 30PPI foam as the final layer. It won't jam as quick as floss and it won't need replacement, just a good cleaning now and then. :)
They come vacuum sealed so you have to fluff them out and let them sit for a couple of days before using them.

Got a pic, MP?

Edit: This is how the danger/fun of PC water cooling looks. Plumb an aquarium, sure. Slap water to 3 grand of electronics? Exciting!

20200312_231015.jpg

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

Okay, so I have no idea what I'm even looking at, but it is very, VERY cool. Wowzers.

The DIY sponges self-fluff, by the way as soon as you unseal them. No need to wait. Here's the fine sponge. I'm looking up 30PPI foam now.

Attachments

• 5853792F-8CC1-4EBE-ACA7-4661538D5BC2_1_201_a.jpeg
    5853792F-8CC1-4EBE-ACA7-4661538D5BC2_1_201_a.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

Redviper

It's something I'm starting to see as too dangerous to continue doing. It's the insides of my gamer rig, with the hottest parts cooled by liquid. Mine is old skool, but it does look cool.

I have some sponge that comes in 1/2 inch square blocks that look like "H's". They were a blast to separate and "fluff." Silly? I guess, but we drank beer while we did it. If you haven't read it yet, keep in mind that the lower the PPI (pores per inch), the more it needs to be cleaned. It's worth it though because it really scrubs the water. Let me know if you have any questions about foam kung-fu. :) BTW, your green foam is called "egg carton." The design is trying to increase surface area.

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

It's something I'm starting to see as too dangerous to continue doing. It's the insides of my gamer rig, with the hottest parts cooled by liquid. Mine is old skool, but it does look cool.

I have some sponge that comes in 1/2 inch square blocks that look like "H's". They were a blast to separate and "fluff." Silly? I guess, but we drank beer while we did it. If you haven't read it yet, keep in mind that the lower the PPI (pores per inch), the more it needs to be cleaned. It's worth it though because it really scrubs the water. Let me know if you have any questions about foam kung-fu. :) BTW, your green foam is called "egg carton." The design is trying to increase surface area.

Wow, that is a serious setup. You are walkin' on the wild side! But it looks like something snagged out of the prop room of a Ridley Scott film set.

The 3 DIY filters are of the egg carton variety. I remember the Pondguru dude talking about face-down for more surface area.

Okay, I have a question I think you might be able to answer. The Eheim pump tubing is labeled 6/22 594 tubing. I can't find that particular size at any hardware store or Home Depot.

Here's the problem: You need a small piece of tubing to connect the outflow pipe to the spray bar. Because I always have to make life harder than necessary, I stupidly cut too short a length and sadly (for me) I don't think I can cut another piece from either section of tubing that is already attached to the pump (it would make the cut tube a bit too short). The thought of having to fork over around $16 for like, 4-5" of tubing seems ridiculous. Is there anything else out there that's close enough to work?

I will say, these Eheim tubes are not flexible at all and are a super snug fit: so tight that's it's really hard to wiggle them in (even after dipping them in hot water). Once they're on, they're on and won't budge. I cannot pull the tubing from the pipes (I thought maybe I could possibly snip off another 4"). I haven't tried yanking one of the tubes off the canister head. I might have better luck with a bit more leverage.

But another 4" of tubing would be so much easier!

Upvote 0

Redviper

Wow, that is a serious setup. You are walkin' on the wild side! But it looks like something snagged out of the prop room of a Ridley Scott film set.

Yeah, sort of old but still impressive sounds like Ridley's stuff. There's a contemporary version of liquid cooling that LOOKS real good, but it requires loads of measuring and cutting. That's a big no-no for me. :)

The 3 DIY filters are of the egg carton variety. I remember the Pondguru dude talking about face-down for more surface area.

Orientation of EC foam depends on the direction of flow. Oncoming water should hit the bumpy side first, from what I understand.

Okay, I have a question I think you might be able to answer. The Eheim pump tubing is labeled 6/22 594 tubing. I can't find that particular size at any hardware store or Home Depot.

Sorry brother, that particular equation is beyond me, and seems to be the same for everyone else as well. I have a set of steel lilly pipes that are 6/22 and I haven't been able to get the size in and brands (Primoflex and Tygon) I prefer. No one I've asked seems to understand how to translate metric to imperial when it comes to tubing. Not even the people who make the filter I need it for.

Here's the problem: You need a small piece of tubing to connect the outflow pipe to the spray bar. Because I always have to make life harder than necessary, I stupidly cut too short a length and sadly (for me) I don't think I can cut another piece from either section of tubing that is already attached to the pump (it would make the cut tube a bit too short).

:) Don't feel bad for making this sort of mistake. I've done the same thing repeatedly.

The thought of having to fork over around $16 for like, 4-5" of tubing seems ridiculous. Is there anything else out there that's close enough to work?

In the proper size? Absolutely, if it can be found. When it comes to the GOOD stuff, it's going to cost a bit, but it has properties you'll appreciate right away. This site, and others, sell the awesome Tygon brand. I don't know if they do metric though. Get ready. The shear variety of special purpose tubing will make you dizzy at first. Please let me know if you figure out how to convert metric to imperial. The important parameters are inner diameter, outer diameter and tube wall thickness.

Tygon tubing

I will say, these Eheim tubes are not flexible at all and are a super snug fit: so tight that's it's really hard to wiggle them in (even after dipping them in hot water). Once they're on, they're on and won't budge. I cannot pull the tubing from the pipes (I thought maybe I could possibly snip off another 4"). I haven't tried yanking one of the tubes off the canister head. I might have better luck with a bit more leverage.

Get something sharp that you don't care too much about and slice the part of the tube that sits on the barb as far as possible. Be careful. The tubing should nearly fall after it's cut. IMO, silicon tubing should be standard with every filter, but for some reason it isn't. I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful, but advanced mathematics have always been poison to me.

Upvote 0

GlennO

The Eheim pump tubing is labeled 6/22 594 tubing. I can't find that particular size at any hardware store or Home Depot.

It would be 16/22mm (internal/external) diameter. Probably around 5/8" / 7/8".

Upvote 0

Monkeypoint

It would be 16/22mm (internal/external) diameter. Probably around 5/8" / 7/8".
That was it! I googled 16/22 and got 5/8, but that didn't really help a whole lot as there is a bunch of tubing with an interior dimension of 5/8. I bought a length of 5/8 ID 7/8 OD and that did the trick. It's a snug fit and not as difficult to shove it onto the pipe as the 16/22.
Yeah, sort of old but still impressive sounds like Ridley's stuff. There's a contemporary version of liquid cooling that LOOKS real good, but it requires loads of measuring and cutting. That's a big no-no for me. :)

Orientation of EC foam depends on the direction of flow. Oncoming water should hit the bumpy side first, from what I understand.

Sorry brother, that particular equation is beyond me, and seems to be the same for everyone else as well. I have a set of steel lilly pipes that are 6/22 and I haven't been able to get the size in and brands (Primoflex and Tygon) I prefer. No one I've asked seems to understand how to translate metric to imperial when it comes to tubing. Not even the people who make the filter I need it for.

:) Don't feel bad for making this sort of mistake. I've done the same thing repeatedly.

In the proper size? Absolutely, if it can be found. When it comes to the GOOD stuff, it's going to cost a bit, but it has properties you'll appreciate right away. This site, and others, sell the awesome Tygon brand. I don't know if they do metric though. Get ready. The shear variety of special purpose tubing will make you dizzy at first. Please let me know if you figure out how to convert metric to imperial. The important parameters are inner diameter, outer diameter and tube wall thickness.

Tygon tubing

Get something sharp that you don't care too much about and slice the part of the tube that sits on the barb as far as possible. Be careful. The tubing should nearly fall after it's cut. IMO, silicon tubing should be standard with every filter, but for some reason it isn't. I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful, but advanced mathematics have always been poison to me.
Finally! Queue Rocky theme song. I got everything sorted out. I bought some clear tubing at Home Depot (5/8 ID, 7/8 OD). Close enough. Attached the spray bar to the outflow pipe, primed the canister. Tiny bubbles. Plugged her in, and heard...nothing. I had to stick my hand below the spray bar to confirm something was actually happening. It's working!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior