Filter Question

Sarah1230ox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey so i have a roma 90 and have the chance to buy a roma 200 cheap! Obviously would be much better for my two fantails! My problem is i obviously want to use my old filters....i have two running they are cycled, both can go into tanks up to 100litres so thats 200litres will that be enough for the new 200 litre?

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The general rule of thumb is your fish tank should turn over your water volume at least 4x per hour for best efficiency. Considering loss from head pump lift (canisters typically 7-13%), filter media baskets, tubing length, U bends from the input tube and output tubes or even the 90 degree bend for your spray bar, add your filter media jam packed with course, medium, fine pads, bio ceramic rings, hard media like Matrix, Biohome or Marine Pure Balls and now it gets dirty and clogged in weeks. Your flow rated is reduced to about 50-60% or more. This is why you would get a filter running at 8-10x your flow rate to bring you down to the recommended 4x flow.

Sarah1230ox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The general rule of thumb is your fish tank should turn over your water volume at least 4x per hour for best efficiency. Considering loss from head pump lift (canisters typically 7-13%), filter media baskets, tubing length, U bends from the input tube and output tubes or even the 90 degree bend for your spray bar, add your filter media jam packed with course, medium, fine pads, bio ceramic rings, hard media like Matrix, Biohome or Marine Pure Balls and now it gets dirty and clogged in weeks. Your flow rated is reduced to about 50-60% or more. This is why you would get a filter running at 8-10x your flow rate to bring you down to the recommended 4x flow.
Okay thanks, so shall.i get a bigger.one or will they be enough for.now?

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay thanks, so shall.i get a bigger.one or will they be enough for.now?
Assuming a Roma 200 is a 200 liter tank, you need about 1600 liters per hour for best efficiency (200x8). What you have now will be fine, but you will need to upgrade later.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I went from the roma 90 to 200 too. Big difference. My old canister was rated for 700l/h and it was adequate. My newer one is 1450l/h and so much better. I had the u2 on my 90 and I can't imagine having it on this tank. I guess you can always try it out and see.

And yes the 200 is the amount of litres. 52.8 gallons.

Sarah1230ox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I went from the roma 90 to 200 too. Big difference. My old canister was rated for 700l/h and it was adequate. My newer one is 1450l/h and so much better. I had the u2 on my 90 and I can't imagine having it on this tank. I guess you can always try it out and see.

And yes the 200 is the amount of litres. 52.8 gallons.
So if i upgrade to thw u3 can my old sponges from the u2 go into.it?

Assuming a Roma 200 is a 200 liter tank, you need about 1600 liters per hour for best efficiency (200x8). What you have now will be fine, but you will need to upgrade later.
Okay thank you

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So if i upgrade to thw u3 can my old sponges from the u2 go into.it?
I think that the sponges and cartridges are twice as tall on the u3 as on the u2 (maybe not quite twice). If two u2 sponges could fit onto either side of the u3 then you could use the old ones in conjunction with some new ones. You could run both u filters together in the tank. That's what I'd do if you wanted to go the fluval u series route.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm not familiar with your filter but would suggest setting up and running both filters for a good month or so to let the BB build up into your new filter as others have mentioned. Good luck!!

Sarah1230ox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think that the sponges and cartridges are twice as tall on the u3 as on the u2 (maybe not quite twice). If two u2 sponges could fit onto either side of the u3 then you could use the old ones in conjunction with some new ones. You could run both u filters together in the tank. That's what I'd do if you wanted to go the fluval u series route.
Well if i move them sponges to the u3 and also use my other filter that i have not the u2 i have another in there too, my cycle would be okay in the new tank wouldn't it? Even with a new sponge thats in the u3 with the.older ones

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
yes move as much media as you can from the old filter to the new filter and your cycle will keep running as it has been all along and at the same time it'll seed the media in the new filter.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom