Filter Question Question

1. ohdearcheesus

ohdearcheesus New Member Member

So since I upgraded to my 20 gallon, I've been running both my new and old filters together. The new one is a Top Fin, I believe a SilentStream, meant for a 20 gallon tank. The old one is a Tetra Whisper 2-10i. I think it just hit 3 months that they've been running together.

I've been having some algae issues lately and I just looked at the Tetra filter pad and the little mesh grid that's included. The grid looks nasty, full of algae in the little mesh stuff, and the filter pad is falling apart and coming off the plastic that holds it up. I removed them, also because when I moved it slightly, a bunch of small particles went out into my tank in a cloud lol

So my question is, at this point, should I be fine switching completely to the filter meant for the 20 gallon tank? My tank is cycled and I only have a small bioload at the moment--just a small Betta girl and 2 Horned Nerite snails. I also plopped in a dose of Stability to be on the safe side.

2. beau

beau Well Known Member Member

If you’ve had them running for 3 months the new filter will be perfectly fine on its own. I would check the gph rating on it though, because I’d be surprised if a filter rated for a 20gal would be 200gph. It’s probably fine for the Betta and Nerites, but you won’t be able to stock much more with it.

3. OP
    OP
    ohdearcheesus

Thank you! I'm trying to do my fish tank right this time around with the 20 gallon, as the way I grew up learning from my dad definitely wasn't the correct way to go haha. I mean, it seemed to work out, seeing as my boyfriend and I kept our first Betta alive for around 4 or so years with no problems until the end, but... yeah. We'll just say that I had no idea how cycling really worked until the beginning of this year and leave it at that.

But anyway, it looks like according to the packaging in the photo on PetSmart's site, the Top Fin has an adjustable flow rate up to 100 gph. I want to get some other fish and maybe a couple shrimp at some point, but I also want some more plants for everyone to hide in first. Should I look into getting the next filter size up/a better filter in general if I'm planning on adding more fish?

4. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Yo
    You could always keep that filter and just add another one to up your gph, this will also give you a back up and extra media just in case :)

5. OP
    OP
    ohdearcheesus

I might get new media for the smaller filter at some point and put it back in with the 20 gallon filter! They've been doing well together, but the smaller one being full of algae doesn't make me happy. I'd like to get rid of the algae, not provide it a home! haha

I think I'll also look into other filters that have better ratings than the one I have--I found some reviews saying it flooded their floors after a while D:

6. WTFish?

I love my Fluval C2 (there are different sizes) a tad more expensive but the reviews made me cave. So far so good.

7. OP
    OP
    ohdearcheesus

Thanks for the recommendation! I was actually looking at the AquaClear filter and the C2 is pretty comparable to that in price! What size tank do you have it on?

8. WTFish?

I put it on my 10g, lol, overkill I know but it sure works. I was torn between the aqua clear and fluval as well.

9. OP
    OP
    ohdearcheesus

I'd rather have overkill than not enough! haha I was looking at the Aquaclear rated for up to 50 gallons, so I'm with you!

10. WTFish?

Lol, that was the delima I had. I don’t like reading “up to 50 gallons” I want to know the gph so I can decide. I like to go with 10x more. So my 10g needs at least 100gph. Haha. Well I hope you find one you like.

11. OP
    OP
    ohdearcheesus

Thanks so much! I've got time to decide, so there's that haha. I was just reading a few posts talking about having the filtration be 10x more, so I'll definitely keep that in mind!