Filter Question

Spencer318

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi there, so i just got a penn plax cascade 1000 given to me, and was wondering how i should stock it. Its a 3 cannister filter. i was figureing

Bottom: Fluval Bio tubes + polyester sheets/stuffing

Middle: Charcoal bag + polyester sheets/stuffing

Top: Black media sponge + Polyester sheets/stuffing

Sorry i know my terminology is off as I'm pretty new to the hobby. Does this look like a decent setup?

Little fry babies

Valued Member
Reaction score
How big is your aquarium and how much power does the filter give off? It depends on how much filteration is appropriate for the appropriate amount your tank is. I cant remember the abbreviation they use for the strength of the filter for some reason, but when i bought my topfin quiet flow it is for a 20 to 40 gallon. Always get filters that are for your size tank or a little more stornger and get one that you can adjust the flow in the tank .That's always best .

I guess the abbreviation and term for this would be GPH gallons per hour .Though that doesnt sound familiar to me .Lol. if that is what your question was for any way .hope it helped some.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Spencer318 said:
Hi there, so i just got a penn plax cascade 1000 given to me, and was wondering how i should stock it. Its a 3 cannister filter. i was figureing

Bottom: Fluval Bio tubes + polyester sheets/stuffing

Middle: Charcoal bag + polyester sheets/stuffing

Top: Black media sponge + Polyester sheets/stuffing

Sorry i know my terminology is off as I'm pretty new to the hobby. Does this look like a decent setup?

are you asking what media you want to put into the filter itself or whether or not your filtration (gph or litres per hour - lph) is sufficient for your tank size?

the general rule of excellent filtration is to have a filter or filters that give you ten times the rate per hour as the volume of your tank. so if you have a 100gallon tank, you want a 1000 gph filtration. 50g = 500gph.

that's partially because the filtration rate listed on most filters decreases as you chuck media in it. the only downside to using this formula is that sometimes it creates too strong a current/flow for your planned fish stocking. there are easy ways to mitigate that though - you can put a sponge on the intake (or a mesh fishsafe filter bag), you can get a diffusion bar for the flow back into the tank or put something on it so it reduces the flow.

in terms of your planned media, my experience is that which cannister tray you put your media in doesn't matter *that* much with most filters, but if you google media trays in your specific filter you can get ideas. some people like doing the smallest particle filtration at the level where the water comes into your filter from your tank to filter out the biggest chunks of gunk first. some only use the filter floss/wool on one level, some use it where the water first enters your filter and where the water leaves (eg, not on all levels).

i hope this is helpful. others who have your specific filter may have better advice on which level for which media

Spencer318

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a 60 gallon tank, and that filter is built for a maximum 100 gal tank, filters around 270 gph. I was always told that the rule wasn't 10x per hour but 4x per hour minimum. As for the question i was asking. I was asking what specifically i should have in each of the 3 trays. I have an example idea there and was wondering if that was sufficient. Thanks.

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Spencer318 said:
I have a 60 gallon tank, and that filter is built for a maximum 100 gal tank, filters around 270 gph. I was always told that the rule wasn't 10x per hour but 4x per hour minimum. As for the question i was asking. I was asking what specifically i should have in each of the 3 trays. I have an example idea there and was wondering if that was sufficient. Thanks.
In order of water flow input to output: Mechanical, chemical, bio
IOW
Sponge, carbon, rings
AKA/or
Coarse sponge, floss, chemipure, rings

Spencer318

Valued Member
Reaction score
leftswerve said:
In order of water flow input to output: Mechanical, chemical, bio
IOW
Sponge, carbon, rings
AKA/or
Coarse sponge, floss, chemipure, rings
ok so with my filter the input tubes down to the bottom then filters through the 3 canisters/trays going upward then out the output. so you would do

Bottom: sponge
middle: Carbon
Top: Rings

correct?

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Spencer318 said:
ok so with my filter the input tubes down to the bottom then filters through the 3 canisters/trays going upward then out the output. so you would do

Bottom: sponge
middle: Carbon
Top: Rings

correct?
Yes and personally I would Add polyfill in between the sponge and carbon. I would put it under the carbon, not over the sponge. That'll keep you bio from clogging.

Spencer318

Valued Member
Reaction score
leftswerve said:
Yes and personally I would Add polyfill in between the sponge and carbon. I would put it under the carbon, not over the sponge. That'll keep you bio from clogging.
Awesome, that is exactly what i needed to know, thanks alot!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom