Filter Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Cheyennemm, Apr 22, 2018.

1. CheyennemmValued MemberMember

i am currently doing an fish in cycle with a goldfish and it has already been a month. The filter says it needs replaced every four weeks, won’t that mess my cycle up? The filter in it right now is really super dirty but I feel like replacing it would mess up the cycle

2. qchris87Well Known MemberMember

Replacing the filter pad will mess up your cycle, especially if your filter does not contain any biomedia. During a water change, you can clean the filter pad in the old tank water you siphon out. Depending on how much space you have in your filter, I would suggest shoving some biomedia ceramic or rings in a mesh bag and into your filter.

3. SwampgorillaValued MemberMember

What Chris says above ... if you have a cartridge type filter you need to wean yourself off it and go to some truly reusable media.

4. CheyennemmValued MemberMember

What is a cartridge type filter? The one I have came with the tank and it has a little removable white thing in it that it says to replace monthly

5. CheyennemmValued MemberMember

Sorry I literally know nothing about fish tanks and fish

6. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

That’s your filter. You won’t want to remove it. That is what will hold your bacteria, which is the life support system.

Don’t replace them. Keep them in the filter.

7. FishMichValued MemberMember

I have a 10 gallon that came with a Marina Slim filter, which is one that uses thin cartridges that the manufacturer suggests to replace every two weeks! I ended up not even opening the cartridges and used extra media I had on hand for my Aquaclear. I had to cut the sponge to make it fit in the Marina Slim, but it fits perfectly now and I used a bag of biomax (any biomedia will do like ceramic rings or seachem matrix). This way, I only I have to replace the sponge if it’s falling apart and in the meantime just rinse in tank water in a bucket. The sponge in my Aquaclear I’ve had for 7 months and still does not need replaced. The biomedia I don’t think I’ll need to replace almost ever (unless the pores get too clogged up), I also just rinse that in a bucket with tank water. When it comes time, just don’t replace all your media at once.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice