Filter Question

Landen Birch

Reaction score
Do I need more filtration?

50 gallon tank - using Fluval 106 and Small old marineland penguin 100.

30 fish in the tank all small schooling tetras and small guppies.

Ziggythecat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It’s kinda hard to tell for me, because I cant see how big the filters actually are, but two sounds like a lot, and if they are working then I think it is good for now.

As long as you are doing water changes and water tests, it should be ok.

However, that does sound like quite a bit of fish...

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's more than enough. Most dry/canister filters available on the market today are real beasts, and are almost always enough. Keep both, as the smaller Penguin filter will also provide surface agitation/circulation/oxygen etc.

Landen Birch

Reaction score
SFGiantsGuy said:
That's more than enough. Most dry/canister filters available on the market today are real beasts, and are almost always enough. Keep both, as the smaller Penguin filter will also provide surface agitation/circulation/oxygen etc.
Thank you. I will continue running both! I appreciate the feedback

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah it's good if your current bioload can handle it, as usually canister filters are powerful enough to do so. But if and when things start to get messy, which I honestly very much doubt, then that will possibly indicate that you actually will NEED more filtration. Although chances of that occurring are pretty slim, especially with canister filters...and a smaller extra HOB one heh

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom