Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

We5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I have a Top Fin 55 gallon set up. Excuse any ignorance, but if I need 8-10 times water turn over for my tank, does that mean the Top Fin 75 filter is not sufficient enough? According to what I've read the filter does 350 gph.

dcutl002

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have to disagree with the 10X filtration theory. Let us not confuse filtration with flow. Adequate chemical filtration can be achieved with 1X to 2X the tank capacity per hour; however, i prefer about 3X to 4X tank capacity per hour. This gives the water more contact time with beneficial bacteria in the filter. With 10X tank capacity per hour I believe you are getting more "flow", but less filtration. For me, I prefer to go with a filter capable of 3-4 times the tank capacity per hour for filtration: then I like to add a separate powerhead for flow. just my opinion.

Last edited:

purslanegarden

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
8-10x is often recommended here on this site, but I'm sure others are able to go with less. However, ultimately, the main reason for this kind of suggestion is that over time, the gunk collected on the filter padding will slow down the flow, and the growing population or growing fish size will add to the bioload, as well as the filter itself may just not be operating optimally anymore. Fish species will also play a part. So as a result, it's a good idea to get a filter that can over-filter at first, but later, it might be just about right.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
You are going to get 100 differing opinions on this but I prefer to go with 10x filtration on a tank regardless. However, I prefer to split that over 2 filters. That maximizes flow while doubling available room for media.

There is so much that goes into filtration it's impossible to get a consensus on whether your 350 gph filter will be enough for your 55 gallon tank. What kind of media do you have in it (depending on the media, you may be fine or need a little extra filtration)? What are you planning on stocking in your tank (different fish require different levels of filtration. Fish like tetras and barbs have very little waste while cichlids and plecos have a lot comparatively)? Do you have powerheads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom