Filter question?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Mattmez, Jul 20, 2015.

1. MattmezValued MemberMember

I got a 125 gallon coming. ( 72" x 18" x 24") and was wondering if I should run 2 aqua clear over the back 70gallons or 110 gallons, or run a hydor 90-150 gallon canister. The Aqua clears combined are $80 less than the hydor canister. What should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. skar

skarWell Known MemberMember

In this scenario I would get a canister filter if you have a stand to hide it.
    They have less expensive ones on eBay can't remember the name, I think it was for sun canisters .
    BTW... I always try to over do filtration so.... If your buying for a 125gal try to filter for 250 gal.
    This is just my opinion and works better for less maintenance.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    M

MattmezValued MemberMember

Ok i do that also. Are the Sun Suns any good.... It is almost too good to be true $88 for a 200 gal filter????

4. skar

skarWell Known MemberMember

I'm sure they are as good as any..
    I've read good reviews but it's personal opinion and experience.
    With the others its mainly paying for the name. Just try and buy a self priming one.
    I use an aqua clear so I don't have experience.

5. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Several people on here use SunSun filters, do a forum search for some of the threads on them

6. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

I've heard enough good things and read enough reviews to know that I'd rather spend 65 dollars on a sun sun than 150+ on the size I needed for my 55 so I have the 303B coming this week

7. AndyVE

AndyVEValued MemberMember

i have a sun sun hw-302 (only have a 33G tank).
    Paid around 50USD (less even i think),
    and it came with biomedia some filter pads & bioballs.
    Is my first canister.

Am extremely happy with it.
    Before I had (and kept it as a backup) a fluval U3 internal filter.

The manual is not that comprehensive, but most things you can figure out without any manual.
    Some also say that the water in and outlet tubing is made of flimsy plastic (but decent).
    But i do not mind how it looks and feels (not flimsy to me).
    Have it since january or so.

Is in my bedroom (in the open, not inside a cabinet) and makes less noise than my Tetra APS 50 air pump.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  8. amydebValued MemberMember

I bought a Sunsun 304B for my 75 gallon about a month ago. It came with bio media (rings and bio balls), charcoal and filter pads. The set up directions really are horrible but I was able to figure it out even though I never owned a canister before.

When I replaced my gravel with sand, I apparently didn't wash the sand as well as I thought. The Sunsun cleared the cloudy water within hours. Also, it's quiet!

I can't say for the longevity of it but my budget is tight, I really needed a new filter and didn't want another HOB. I'd probably take the chance and order another if I were to get another tank.

9. Theman1

Theman1Valued MemberMember

I love my sun sun canisters. I have a 304 amd a 302. Both are completely silent. I have them on both tanks in my bedroom and can't even hear them. For the price you can't beat it. I also have a Marineland canister and the sun suns are definitely better.

10. freak78

freak78Well Known MemberMember

I would run the HOBs and a canister.

11. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

I would do the AC110s and the biggest SunSun you can get. Need to remember filters are rated by their flow with nothing in them( meaning no media) so the flow rate will be lower than what is claimed on the box.

12. OP
    OP
    M

MattmezValued MemberMember

Ah I see they go up to 200gal. And I have an aqua clear for up to 50gal. That should do. Thanks guys!

13. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

AC 50 won't fit on a 125.

14. chrt396

chrt396Well Known MemberMember

The GPH should be 5 times the tank size. 125g x 5 = 625 GPH. A Sunsun 302 @ 264 GPH and a Sunsun 304 @ 370GPH would do the trick. Total of 624 gph. Perfect fitration.

http://www.amazon.com/4-Stage-External-Canister-Sterilizer-Aquarium/dp/B00896IILA?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1GNTMAFQ5RY9N8WGTDMP

With that said...I like Fluval or Eheim...but they are assuredly more expensive. I've been hearing about these Sunsuns on this forum and watched and read a lot of reviews..and other than instruction manual and cheap plastic as even mentioned on this thread, ...everything else was great!

15. freak78

I run an fx-6 and two penguin 350s on my 125. But I'm wanting to ditch the penguins in favor of the 110s.

16. freak78

I run an fx-6 and two penguin 350s on my 125. But I'm wanting to ditch the penguins in favor of the 110s.

17. Jsigmo

JsigmoWell Known MemberMember

I've had a Sun Sun running for about six months, and it's been great. Almost silent, too.

The instructions are lacking, but there are a lot of youtube videos and other on-line guides and info for them. So that's not a problem.

I like using multiple filters. It gives you redundancy and the ability to clean them one at a time so your risk of losing too much bacteria all at once is minimized.

To that end, I also have a hang on back filter running in that same 55 gallon tank. I don't like having all my eggs in one basket.

For a 125, I'd use at least two separate filters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice