Filter Question

1. str8shooter Member Member

I have a tetra HOB filter and I was wondering when I should replace the filter cartridges because its starting to fall apart. The filter carriage is what has the bacteria on it right and the sponge is the mechanical part. If im right what should I do becouse I dont want to throw off the balance of the BB but I dont have enough room in the filter to add two filter cartridges. What should I do so I dont couse my water readings to got wacko

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. str8shooter Member Member

Sory it should say filter cartridges in the 2 sentence not carriage

3. Watermark Member Member

There is BB on the sponge as well so you should not throw off your readings by changing your filter pad.

4. str8shooter Member Member

But is the main BB on the cartridge or the sponge

5. Watermark Member Member

Because the cartidge is finer, it will house more BB

6. str8shooter Member Member

Ok so I can throw the filter cartridge away and replace it with a new one and there should be enough BB on the sponge not to trhow off the water. Sory this kind of repeats what you said but I want to make sure I unerderstand.
    Thanks

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Ya know...I'm not sure I'm on board with that. In theory there should be bacteria on the sponge. But I would think the majority of bacteria would be on the floss on the cartridge. So if you replace the cartridge you will most likely remove enough bacteria to cause a mini cycle. The lenth of this mini cycle is dependant on actually how much bacteria is in that sponge.

If possible, tear the floss off the cartridge frame (not familiar with your filter so hopefully you can do that) and stuff it in the filter next to the new cartridge.You may still experiance a mini cycle but it would be less severe.

But if that is not an option you could always add a bottle of SafeStart when your replace the cartridge

By the way, I changed the title of your thread to "Filter Question" because there is no such thing as a silly question of FishLore!