Filter Question For Possible Betta And Shrimp Tank

FishMich
Hello,

We are close to finishing the fishless cycle on a 10 gallon tank. My son is interested in having a betta and some shrimp. We bought the Marina 10 gallon kit and it came with a Marina SlI'm s15 filter. I’m just now finding out that it only has a gph of 72. I’ve read for HOBs it’s recommended to have a 8-10x turnover rate. I know bettas are known to have a lower bioload and they don’t like a strong flow, would this be okay for a betta and shrimp tank? I am planning on adding a sponge filter as well, for back up filtration.

The other option is an Aquaclear 20, I know the gph is adequate at 200 gph, but is the flow too strong for a betta?

Many Thanks!

david1978
I keep seeing that 8-10 x number thrown around. Its as reliable as the inch per gallon rule. Imo it really comes down to your stocking. Yes tank size must be considered but why would a 10 with a betta need the same filtration as a 10 with a bunch of guppies. I'm sure the filter that comes with it would be adequate on its own but a sponge filters not a bad idea to add aswell.

FishMich
Ok that’s great to know! Thanks very much!

jenmur
I have an AquaClear 20 on my 10 gallon betta tank. I’ve had 3 bettas (just got my last one two weeks ago) and all 3 have enjoyed the filter flow.

FishMich
Sweet! Thank you, it’s nice to know my options. I think my husband would be choked if I didn’t use the filter that the kit came with. He thinks we are spending too much money on fish equipment at the moment. I’ll try the Marina Slim, but I bought an extra AC20 on sale, thinking I can use it for QT or put it on this 10 gallon if needed!

david1978
I wasn't sure how the ac20 would be, I have an ac110 on my betta tank but its a little bigger.

Travis Bradbury
Your fine with that filter you have. It will be fine to handle the bio load of a single betta and some shrimp (shrimp have next to no load).

Depending on what shrimp you have, you might have to put something to cover the intake to make sure they don't get sucked in

FishMich
Thanks everyone! We will give the Marina SlI'm a go. I’ve already put a Fluval Edge prefilter sponge over the intake. I was originally using shrimp pellets to cycle, we had to leave for 10 days over March break. So glad we had the prefilter sponge on. The pellets turned into goopy slime and would’ve gunked up the filter for sure!

My son wants red crystal shrimp, because he says “they’re really popping”. He wants shrimp that’ll pop with colour over the dark substrate

Oops! Just read my typo. For anyone who reads this later, the gph for Aquaclear 20 is 100, NOT 200!

jenmur
Welcome. Oh wow yeah thank you sponge!
Hopefully your betta will be fine with shrimp . Some, like mine, are not.

FishMich
Hmm should I try to convince my son for a different tank mate for the Betta? We have corydoras habrosus in our first tank. Originally, I was thinking of moving them to another 10 gallon and upping their numbers and letting them breed without any other tank mates. But I think I’m going to run out of 10 gallons! Can the Betta live peacefully with corydoras habrosus? I’d like to move them out of the tank with the livebearers because I find the livebearers are pigs and overeat as they go after the cory food after they gobble their food.

We have three 10 gallon tanks. I wanted to keep one as a QT/hospital tank. One as a Betta tank, and the other one I wanted for the cories, but my son also wants shrimp. Can I combine any of these species?

PatientStars
Hmm should I try to convince my son for a different tank mate for the Betta? We have corydoras habrosus in our first tank. Originally, I was thinking of moving them to another 10 gallon and upping their numbers and letting them breed without any other tank mates. But I think I’m going to run out of 10 gallons! Can the Betta live peacefully with corydoras habrosus? I’d like to move them out of the tank with the livebearers because I find the livebearers are pigs and overeat as they go after the cory food after they gobble their food.

We have three 10 gallon tanks. I wanted to keep one as a QT/hospital tank. One as a Betta tank, and the other one I wanted for the cories, but my son also wants shrimp. Can I combine any of these species?

A lot of that depends on the personality of the betta. I currently have two bettas, one that I've had for almost a year, and one that I got a few months ago. The first betta is perfectly fine sharing a tank with 4 assassin snails and 4 neon tetras. The newer betta lived with the assassins for about two weeks, and he went after them so often they started staying in their shells all the time and barely moving. He was very quickly evicted from that tank and now lives alone like the crotchety man he is! Haha

I would suggest a few things to help you be successful.

1. Get the shrimp first and let them get comfortable in the tank before introducing the betta. This may help the betta not feel as territorial as he would if shrimp were added to "his" tank.

2. Provide plenty of cover for the shrimp to hide and feel safe. My neocardinia and amano shrimp absolutely LOVE driftwood. Live plants also provide good cover, and help keep your tank healthy!

Then just keep an eye on them and see how it goes! Good luck

jenmur
You won’t really know until you try. My first betta would have been fine with anything else in his tank. Frazier was fine with snails. Shrimp was an entirely different ballgame. I bought him live food when I did that. I wouldn’t try shrimp with my current betta as he is more aggressive than Frazier. I’ll still try a snail. You could do what I did. Try ghost shrimp. And then perhaps try a few bright shrimp

FishMich
Thanks! Not sure if we are gonna risk it with the shrimp. The tank is in my son’s room. He originally was set on a pea puffer tank, but when he thought about the pea puffer eating living snails, he was not down. I’m afraid if he witnesses the betta eating the shrimp, he might not like his betta anymore.

I suppose we will keep the single betta in that 10 gallon. Can shrimp and corydoras habrosus be housed together? Or is that a bad idea?

jenmur
Ah ok.

I’m not sure on the temperature requirements for those guys. Also I have heard any corydoras need at least 20 gallons. You could ask in the stocking area if you wish

FishMich
Just talked to my son. He defintely doesn’t want to see the Betta eat anything, so we will keep him on his own. Now I’m thinking of maybe using all the 10 gallon tanks, 1 betta tank, 1 crystal red shrimp tank and 1 corydoras habrosus tank (these guys are the minI cories. I’ve been told they are suited for a 10 gallon). I’ll just set up a plastic tote with a filter and heater for QT.

Thanks for all your help!

jenmur
Ok. Yeah better safe than sorry on that front.
Ohh ok. I’m not really good at stocking. And I tend to understock

PatientStars
Just talked to my son. He defintely doesn’t want to see the Betta eat anything, so we will keep him on his own. Now I’m thinking of maybe using all the 10 gallon tanks, 1 betta tank, 1 crystal red shrimp tank and 1 corydoras habrosus tank (these guys are the minI cories. I’ve been told they are suited for a 10 gallon). I’ll just set up a plastic tote with a filter and heater for QT.

Thanks for all your help!

If he really wants a buddy for his betta, getting one or two mystery snails might work for you. After some initial curiosity and some slight nips at their antennas, my betta eventually realized they were pretty boring since they just closed up their shell, and was happy to share a tank. I actually caught him laying on top of one of the snails several times while the snail was busy snacking on an algae wafer. Who needs a betta hammock when you have a snail pal?

Also, I currently have a 10 gal with a male betta, 4 neon tetras, and some snails. Tetras make good tank mates because they are small, faster than a betta, and don't have any long, flowy fins that would encourage the betta to nip.

Just some options

FishMich
If he really wants a buddy for his betta, getting one or two mystery snails might work for you. After some initial curiosity and some slight nips at their antennas, my betta eventually realized they were pretty boring since they just closed up their shell, and was happy to share a tank. I actually caught him laying on top of one of the snails several times while the snail was busy snacking on an algae wafer. Who needs a betta hammock when you have a snail pal?

Also, I currently have a 10 gal with a male betta, 4 neon tetras, and some snails. Tetras make good tank mates because they are small, faster than a betta, and don't have any long, flowy fins that would encourage the betta to nip.

Just some options
Thank you! My husband is trying to convince him to pick a school of nano fish instead so my son can take home fish more than once for the 10 gallon. We’ll see what he prefers! I would love to have a half moon betta, they are beautiful.

PatientStars
Thank you! My husband is trying to convince him to pick a school of nano fish instead so my son can take home fish more than once for the 10 gallon. We’ll see what he prefers! I would love to have a half moon betta, they are beautiful.

Half moons are gorgeous! Though, I say that about every betta honestly! Haha

A betta would most likely do fine with any nano fish that does well in a community. As long as the betta is allowed to be the boss, they can turn out to be quite friendly! Good luck, I'm sure he'll have fun with whatever he decides.

jenmur
Halfmoon flare. (Floyd)

IMG_6417.JPG

Crowntail flare. (Frazier)

IMG_0897.JPG

FishMich
jenmur
Wow!!! Those are two gorgeous and impressive bettas!!! Hope my son sticks with the betta plan. I could watch it all day floating around with those long flowing fins.

Had Frazier for 3 years. He passed recently. Floyd is my new betta. And yes you can sit there and watch them. They will also enjoy spending all day watching you!

FishMich
Had Frazier for 3 years. He passed recently. Floyd is my new betta. And yes you can sit there and watch them. They will also enjoy spending all day watching you!
Aw, I’m sorry for your loss. He had a great home with you. Your new guy is so pretty! I’d love a half moon like that. Where do you get your bettas from? There’s a whole wall of bettas in our LFS, but I’ve also found a lady who imports bettas in Canada. Her bettas are super gorgeous but they are around $30-50.

jenmur
Aw, I’m sorry for your loss. He had a great home with you. Your new guy is so pretty! I’d love a half moon like that. Where do you get your bettas from? There’s a whole wall of bettas in our LFS, but I’ve also found a lady who imports bettas in Canada. Her bettas are super gorgeous but they are around $30-50.

He was an awesome fish!! Made me decide I had to always have a betta. I got both of my boys from my local Petco actually.

FishMich
He was an awesome fish!! Made me decide I had to always have a betta. I got both of my boys from my local Petco actually.
Good to know! It’s hard to tell how beautiful they can be when they are in those little cups vs seeing them online with professional photography! But if the ones at our LFS can be that beautiful too, I think I’ll skip the stress and the cost of ordering one online!

jenmur
Good to know! It’s hard to tell how beautiful they can be when they are in those little cups vs seeing them online with professional photography! But if the ones at our LFS can be that beautiful too, I think I’ll skip the stress and the cost of ordering one online!

I guess it all depends ion what is shipped that week. Floyd got some color on the edge of some scales after I got him but that’s it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lady Monster
Replies
Views
Krian
Replies
Views
jacob thompson
Replies
Views