Filter question for 40 gallon tank

Gotfeesh

I have a 40 gallon tank currently with the filter that came with the set up. Marine land or whatever I think was the brand. Looking to upgrade it or just replace it with something that is more quiet. Lately the humming is getting alittle loud. Do you guys think I should upgrade to a canister or just a new 40 should do the trick?

BlockHead1981

Canister is going to be quieter, some are practically silent. They require a lot more work compared to HOB but they can go a lot longer between cleanings and hold more media. I highly recommend Eheim Classic Line. For a 40g I would do one 2217 and you should be more than fine.

Gotfeesh

Ya i was looking at the canisters and some of the 3 media filters. Figured I should do some more research. I've been looking to get upgraded equipment outside of the basic stuff you get with the tank. I plan on setting up a 55-75 in the next few months so been trying to work out the kinks on the smaller one. 3 media seemed like a good idea?

FishDin

I disagree that canister filters are more work. Clean them 3-4 times a year. That's it. IMO you should tend towards overfiltration and if it's too much just turn it down. You can put 3 types of media in any canister filter.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
  • Question
Replies
Views
BarristanTheBold
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dunk2