Filter query

Vix1987

Hi
I shut down a smaller tank I had last Sunday and emptied the water out just leaving the filter In there. I’ve bought some t-bar cichlids that are too small to put in my main tank so I’ve decided to use this tank to grow them on their own.

if I didn’t rinse the filter with anything but just left it unplugged in the empty tank is it likely this won’t have any bacteria left? Or will some be left that was collected in the plastic bottom of the filter ?

I’ve thrown it into my big tank and switched on in the meantime while I wait for answers /do research. I’m planning on moving them tomorrow if safe to do so

thanks

Frank the Fish guy

I have removed Aquaclear hang on back filters from a mature tank, let the filter sit for a week (with water in it, but not running), and when I put it back onto a cleaned tank, the tank remained fully cycled. No spike.

Just don't rinse it out, or clean it, and leave some water in there, and you will be able to start right back where you were.

BullyBee

What he said ^

Vix1987

Frank the Fish guy said:
I have removed Aquaclear hang on back filters from a mature tank, let the filter sit for a week (with water in it, but not running), and when I put it back onto a cleaned tank, the tank remained fully cycled. No spike.

Just don't rinse it out, or clean it, and leave some water in there, and you will be able to start right back where you were.
thanks frank , I haven’t rinsed it at all I’d just emptied water from the shut down tank with a syphon. I’ve thrown it in big tank tonight but I’ll put it back when I’ve given the tank a clean tomorrow . I’ll monitor the water too

Top Bottom