Filter pump vibration?

TheDon
I have had my 45 gallon up and running with a penguin Biowheel 350 for about 4 months now. I used sand as a substrate(which might be the issue) and recently my filter has gotten a little louder than normal.. Just a little hum.

I think that some sand has been sucked up into the filter and caused the magnet on the impeller to be worn away ever so slightly throwing off the clearances for it to properly rotate. I plan on buying a new impeller since the rest of the pump is good. I am also thinking of removing all of the sand and putting in rock now..

I have 12 cichlids in the tank and one pleco. I want to get rid of the convict(the chichlid type) but keep the pleco. Would it be safe to put snape(my pleco) in a small glass bowl for an hour or two while I refill the tank? ( I have a 45 gallon tote I can use to hold the already cycled water. I knew it would be useful)

jsalemi
One thing you can do is shorten the length of the intake tube so it's not as close to the substrate. There's no problem cutting a 1/2" - 1" off the tube to raise the intake grill higher, which may help keep more sand out of the filter.

TheDon
I did so.. I knew the dremel I wasted 70$ on would be useful again this week. I cut 2" off the intake so now its up higher.But the cichlids are mating again so they are making nests in the sand. they kick up and spit out sand.. hopefully it is high enough

Monday I will call marineland and order the impeller

bandito974
get used to it, I put sand in mine, and th enoise is off and on, when ever they dig or kick up sand it happens!

COBettaCouple
Are any of your cichlids substrata-layers? I think your pleco would be ok in a container while you refilled the tank, but i'd recommend a big rubbermaid-type container with a lid.. something to let him move around at least a little and keep him calmer.

TheDon
Its a 45 gallon christmas tree storage container.

TheDon
*update*
I just called Marineland and was speaking with an operator.. I asked how much for the impeller (PRIM350B) and he was looking on his EPC and said he had one on his desk(exact one I needed).

So he said he would box it up and ship it to me today. no charge... schweet 30$ part for free.. I'll be buying more filters from them if I need to

I also have some filter floss in my intake tube now..

bandito974
Merry Christmas!

TheDon
totally!

What about some filter floss in the intake. How would one do that? Poly-Fill is 100% polyester fiber and from what I understand is the same as filter floss.I have a 10 lb bag in my garage

jsalemi
I'd worry about the floss getting sucked up the tube. You could maybe wrap it around the outside of the intake grill, and hold it in place with a clean rubber band. Or get some filter pad material, and cut a square big enough to fit around the outside of the grill.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cheese
Replies
Views
JSHinNC
Replies
Views
Islandvic
20 Gallon Tank Penguin 150 Rattling?
Replies