Filter Problems

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by LouLou79, Apr 24, 2017.

1. LouLou79Valued MemberMember

I'm having problems with my filter. Occasionally the fish are getting sucked in. Yesterday I lost my new red shrimp which I'd just bought and loved! The gaps in the filter covering must be too big. Has anyone else experienced this problem and overcome it?

Attached Files:

2. KO_Valued MemberMember

This should not be happening if the filter is correctly installed, could you post a picture of the filter/intake? Healthy fish should not be able to get stuck on a filter.

3. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

What brand/model filter?

Can you post a pic of the intake as well as how it's placed in the tank?

Either it will need to be turned to a lower setting (if possible) or it needs an intake sponge/filter to prevent this from happening. This is a fairly common adjustment needed for shrimp.

4. LouLou79Valued MemberMember

image.jpeg

I've lost a guppy, saved and endler who was swimming about in bottom of slotted bit and now lost a shrimp.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

You never answered my question, what brand/model, does it have adjustable flow?

If not then I would suggest getting some sponge or netting and covering the intake. Some people just put the entire filter in a mesh bag or pantyhose.

You may want to research "prefilters" and determine what's best for your setup and stock.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  6. KO_Valued MemberMember

Judging by the size of the intake compared to the fish it really shouldn't not be sucking them in. Are your fish exhibiting weak swimming before they get sucked in?

7. LouLou79Valued MemberMember

image.jpeg The filter came with the 'Love fish' brand tank from my local pet store.
    I did think about using a pantyhose as I recently had to do this on my nursery tank as the fry could get out.

8. LouLou79Valued MemberMember

No they aren't. It has quite a suck on it because when they swim past you can see them being drawn near it.

9. KO_Valued MemberMember

I did some research on that model, looks like a lot of negative reviews. I would try to cover the intake with something like suggested, I don't know if pantyhose would really help because in theory they would still get sucked to the intake. Maybe something bigger like a sponge type material. In the future I would look into replacing the filter all together as it does not seem to be worth the pain it will be giving you.

10. LouLou79Valued MemberMember

Thank you. What do you mean about using a sponge type material.

11. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

12. LouLou79Valued MemberMember

oh that's interesting. Would it not stop the needed suction?

13. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Oh! I finally took a picture of what I have. It's a course mesh bag that rocks and marbles and stuff come in.

IMG_3845.PNG

I have that in the outtake because my stupid ropefish tried to swim up it. The other stuff I LOVE using and did so in a smaller filter is the green fish net material. It's still course enough waste will get sucked in but not the fish.

14. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

It shouldn't based off how strong yours seems, but that was an example of media. There are many other types like this one that allows more passthrough:  

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice